Level 6 · 长腿叔叔
🎬

E02 · Episodes

002 难得的机会

难得的机会

Little Fox Level 6 · Daddy Longlegs · Episode 2 — 难得的机会.

79 句 · 动画课 · 先观看再听写

旁白 neutral

" The question of your future came up at today's meeting," Mrs. Lippett repeated

“今天会议上提出了关于你未来的问题,” 李皮特太太重复道。

旁白 neutral

" And we discussed it in great detail."

“并且我们对此进行了详细的讨论。”

旁白 neutral

I continued to sit in stunned silence in the matron's office

我继续在女总管的办公室里坐着,惊愕得说不出话来。

旁白 neutral

" You've done well here, Jerusha," she went on

“你在这儿表现得不错,洁露莎,” 她继续说道。

旁白 neutral

" And we let you attend the village high school

“我们也让你去读了村里的高中。

旁白 neutral

Despite some problems with your behavior."

尽管你的行为举止有些问题。”

旁白 neutral

She frowned at me. I tried to look guilty

她对我皱起了眉头。我努力装出一副愧疚的样子。

旁白 neutral

" But you're 18 now and finishing high school

“但你现在已经18岁了,而且很快就要读完高中了。

旁白 neutral

We can't take care of you for much longer

我们无法再照顾你更久了。

旁白 neutral

As you know, we don't often keep orphans after age 16

你知道的,我们通常不会收留超过16岁的孤儿。”

旁白 neutral

You were lucky to have two extra years here."

你能在这里多待两年,已经很幸运了。

旁白 neutral

I'd worked hard in exchange for my stay at the orphanage for those two extra years

我勤奋工作,才换来在孤儿院多住那两年。

旁白 neutral

And my education had always come second

而我的学业始终被放在次要位置。

旁白 neutral

Today, for example, Mrs. Lippett had kept me home from school to work

比如今天,利皮特太太就让我没去上学,留在家里干活。

旁白 neutral

But I was too anxious about my future to say anything

可我太担心自己的前途,什么也没说。

旁白 neutral

" Usually we'd send you out to find a job

“通常我们会送你出去找份工作。

旁白 neutral

However, your grades have been excellent

不过,你的成绩一直很出色。

旁白 neutral

Miss Pritchard, who's on our ladies' committee, talked to your English teacher

妇女委员会的普里查德小姐跟你的英语老师谈过。

旁白 neutral

The teacher said your work was brilliant

“老师说你的作业非常优秀。

旁白 neutral

She also gave Miss Pritchard a story you'd written called ' Blue Wednesday.'"

她还把你写的一篇叫《蓝色星期三》的故事交给了普里查德小姐。”

旁白 neutral

This time my guilty expression was real

这次我内疚的表情是真的。

旁白 neutral

Mrs. Lippett always said my imagination would get me into trouble

李皮特夫人总说我的想象力会给我惹麻烦。

旁白 neutral

And now, I guess, it had." Blue Wednesday " was a work of fiction

现在看来,还真惹麻烦了。《蓝色星期三》是一篇虚构作品。

旁白 neutral

But it was based on the days when the trustees and ladies' committee came to visit

但它是根据董事和女士委员会来访时的日子写的。

旁白 neutral

" Miss Pritchard read that story aloud to us

“普里查德小姐把那篇故事大声念给我们听了。

旁白 neutral

I think it was rude to mock the orphanage

我觉得嘲笑孤儿院很无礼。

旁白 neutral

Especially after we've done so much for you." Mrs. Lippett looked at me with disapproval

尤其是在我们为你做了这么多之后。”李皮特夫人不以为然地看了我一眼。

旁白 neutral

" Luckily, some people have a strange sense of humor and found your story funny

“幸运的是,有些人有奇怪的幽默感,觉得你的故事很好笑。

旁白 neutral

Mr. — that is, the trustee who just left — thought it quite amusing

那位——就是刚离开的那位董事——觉得它相当有趣。

旁白 neutral

On the strength of that disrespectful paper, he's sending you to college!"

就凭那篇无礼的文章,他要送你去上大学!”

旁白 neutral

" To college?" My eyes grew big

“上大学?”我瞪大了眼睛。

旁白 neutral

Mrs. Lippett nodded

李皮特夫人点了点头。

旁白 neutral

" He waited until after the meeting to discuss the details with me

“他会后才跟我讨论细节。

旁白 neutral

They are quite unusual. I must say the gentleman is odd

条件很不寻常。我得说那位先生有点古怪。

旁白 neutral

He believes you have talent

他认为你有天赋。

旁白 neutral

He plans to educate you to become a writer!"

他打算培养你成为作家!”

旁白 neutral

" A writer?" I said in shock

“作家?”我震惊地说。

旁白 neutral

" Who knows if you'll succeed. Only time will tell."

“谁知道你会不会成功呢,只有时间能证明。”

旁白 neutral

The matron described the trustee's plan

女总管描述了那位受托人的计划。

旁白 neutral

I would spend the rest of the summer working at the orphanage

我将在孤儿院工作度过剩余夏天。

旁白 neutral

Miss Pritchard would help me choose new clothes

普里查德小姐会负责帮我挑选新衣服。

旁白 neutral

The trustee would pay for them

这些衣服的费用由那位资助人支付。

旁白 neutral

He would also pay my tuition and board directly to the college

他还会把我的学费和食宿费直接付给大学。

旁白 neutral

I would also receive an allowance of 35 dollars a month

此外,我还会得到每月三十五美元的零用钱。

旁白 neutral

" That's a very generous amount, Jerusha," said Mrs. Lippett

“洁露莎,这是一笔非常慷慨的资助。”李皮特夫人说。

旁白 neutral

" Far too generous for a girl who has never managed her own money

“对于一个从未管理过自己钱财的女孩来说,这未免太过慷慨了。”

旁白 neutral

But he wanted you to feel equal to the other girls at college."

但他希望你能因此感到自己不输于大学里的其他女孩。

旁白 neutral

Mrs. Lippett explained that the trustee's secretary would send me the money every month

李皮特夫人解释说,那位资助人的秘书会每月给我汇钱。

旁白 neutral

" In return for all this, you must write letters to the trustee," she said

“作为这一切的回报,你必须给那位资助人写信。”她说。

旁白 neutral

" These letters should not just be thank-you notes!"

“这些信可不能仅仅是感谢信!”

旁白 neutral

" Then what should I write about?" This gentleman did sound very odd

“那我该写些什么呢?”这位绅士听起来确实很古怪。

旁白 neutral

" He wants you to write about your studies and your daily life

“他要你写写你的学习和日常生活。

旁白 neutral

Write a letter like you'd write to your parents — if you had parents."

就像给父母写信那样写——如果你有父母的话。”

旁白 neutral

Mrs. Lippett had more strange instructions for me

李皮特夫人还有更多奇怪的指示要给我。

旁白 neutral

The gentleman's name was not Mr. John Smith, yet that was how I should address the letters

那位绅士的名字不叫约翰·史密斯先生,但我却要用这个名字来称呼收信人。

旁白 neutral

I should mail them to his secretary, Mr. Griggs

我该把信寄给他的秘书,格里格斯先生。

旁白 neutral

" Mr. Smith will never answer your letters

“史密斯先生永远不会给你回信。

旁白 neutral

He hates writing letters!

他最讨厌写信了!

旁白 neutral

However, he wants to keep track of your progress

不过,他想随时了解你的进步。

旁白 neutral

He thinks letter writing is good training for a future author

他认为写信是培养未来作家的好训练。

旁白 neutral

The letters are the only thanks he requires, so treat them like a bill that must be paid

这些信是他唯一要求的感谢,所以要像对待必须偿还的账单一样对待它们。

旁白 neutral

If there is an emergency..."

如果遇到紧急情况……”

旁白 neutral

" An emergency?" I hadn't thought about having an emergency at college

“紧急情况?”我还没想过在大学里会遇到紧急情况。

旁白 neutral

" For example, if you are expelled... Oh my!

“比方说,要是你被开除了……天哪!

旁白 neutral

I hope that doesn't happen

希望不会发生这种事。

旁白 neutral

What an embarrassment for the John Grier Home!"

那会让约翰·格里尔孤儿院多难堪啊!”

旁白 neutral

Mrs. Lippett paused for a moment to calm herself, and then began again

李皮特夫人顿了顿,让自己平静下来,然后又开始说了。

旁白 neutral

" If you have an emergency, you may write to Mr. Griggs."

“如果你有紧急情况,可以写信给格里格斯先生。”

旁白 neutral

I looked at the door

我看了看门口。

旁白 neutral

My head was whirring with excitement, and I wanted to escape

我的脑子兴奋得嗡嗡作响,只想赶紧逃开。

旁白 neutral

I needed to think

我需要好好想想。

旁白 neutral

I stood up. But Mrs. Lippett shook her head and I sat back down

我站了起来。可李皮特夫人摇了摇头,我又坐了回去。

旁白 neutral

" I hope that you're grateful for this wonderful opportunity

“我希望你对这个绝佳的机会心存感激。

旁白 neutral

Not many orphans get a chance to rise in the world

没有多少孤儿能得到这种出人头地的机会。

旁白 neutral

I hope your behavior will make us proud at the John Grier Home

我希望你的行为能让我们约翰·格里尔孤儿院引以为傲。

旁白 neutral

You must always remember — "

你必须永远记住——”

旁白 neutral

" Yes, ma'am. Thank you, ma'am

“好的,夫人。谢谢您,夫人。

旁白 neutral

I must sew a patch on one of the orphan's shirts. Right now."

我得去给一个孤儿的衬衫缝补丁。现在就得去。”

旁白 neutral

I leaped up and fled, leaving Mrs. Lippett standing there with her mouth open

我跳起来跑掉了,留下李皮特夫人目瞪口呆地站在原地。