Level 6 · 长腿叔叔
🎬

E01 · Episodes

001 糟糕透顶的一天

糟糕透顶的一天

Little Fox Level 6 · Daddy Longlegs · Episode 1 — 糟糕透顶的一天.

83 句 · 动画课 · 先观看再听写

旁白 neutral

The first Wednesday of every month was always a " Perfectly Awful Day " at the John Grier Home for Orphans

在约翰·格里尔孤儿院,每个月的第一个星期三总是“糟糕透顶的一天”。

旁白 neutral

That's when the trustees and the ladies' committee visited us

那是理事们和女士委员会来探访的时候。

旁白 neutral

Of course, we gave them tea and sandwiches

当然,我们会给他们提供茶和三明治。

旁白 neutral

But this was more than a social call

但这不仅仅是社交来访。

旁白 neutral

These men and women were also inspecting us

这些男女理事们也在视察我们。

旁白 neutral

Everything at our orphanage had to be perfect

孤儿院里的一切都必须尽善尽美。

旁白 neutral

There was so much work to do!

有太多活要干了!

旁白 neutral

And as the oldest orphan, I — Jerusha Abbott — did most of it

而作为最年长的孤儿,我——杰鲁莎·阿伯特——做了大部分。

旁白 neutral

One Wednesday I was on my feet at five o'clock in the morning

一个星期三,我早上五点就起床忙碌了。

旁白 neutral

I mopped floors, dusted chairs, and made beds

我拖地板、擦椅子、铺床。

旁白 neutral

I helped to scrub and dress 97 squirming orphans

我帮忙给九十七个扭来扭去的孤儿擦洗和穿衣。

旁白 neutral

I also reminded them to behave

我还提醒他们要守规矩。

旁白 neutral

" If a trustee or lady speaks to you, what do you say?"

“如果有理事或女士跟你讲话,你该说什么?”

旁白 neutral

The children looked at each other and burst into giggles

孩子们互相看了看,然后咯咯地笑了起来。

旁白 neutral

" You say,' Yes, sir ' or ' No, ma'am.'

“你要说‘是的,先生’或‘不,女士’。

旁白 neutral

Remember your manners and be polite to anyone you meet today."

记住你的礼貌,对今天见到的任何人都要有礼貌。”

旁白 neutral

Mrs. Lippett, the matron at the orphanage, rushed me through these extra chores

孤儿院的女舍监利佩特太太催着我赶快做完这些额外的杂活。

旁白 neutral

She appeared calm to our guests

她在我们的客人面前显得很镇定。

旁白 neutral

But behind the scenes, she was often quite frantic

但在幕后,她常常相当慌乱。

旁白 neutral

This Wednesday, like all the others, finally dragged to a close

这个星期三就像其他所有星期三一样,终于慢吞吞地结束了。

旁白 neutral

As our guests were leaving, I returned to my regular duties in Room F

等客人们离开后,我回到F室继续日常工作。

旁白 neutral

I was in charge of eleven little girls, ages four to seven

我负责照看十一个四到七岁的小女孩。

旁白 neutral

It was time for supper

晚饭时间到了。

旁白 neutral

So I straightened their dresses and wiped their noses

于是我帮她们整理好裙子,擦干净鼻子。

旁白 neutral

Then I sent them off to the dining room

然后送她们去餐厅。

旁白 neutral

I stayed upstairs and sank into a window seat

我留在楼上,瘫坐在窗边的座位上。

旁白 neutral

I pressed my aching head against the cool glass

我把发疼的脑袋贴在冰凉的玻璃上。

旁白 neutral

The day seemed like a success

这一天似乎还算顺利。

旁白 neutral

The ladies and gentlemen had made their rounds, read their reports, and sipped their tea

先生女士们巡视了一圈,读了报告,品了茶。

旁白 neutral

From my seat, I watched their carriages and automobiles rolling out of the orphanage gates

我坐着,看着他们的马车和汽车从孤儿院大门驶出。

旁白 neutral

In my mind I followed them to the big houses dotting the hills

我在心里跟着他们,去了那些点缀在山丘上的大房子。

旁白 neutral

I imagined myself riding home in one of those carriages

想象自己坐着其中一辆马车回家。

旁白 neutral

I wore a fur coat and a velvet hat

穿着皮草大衣,戴着天鹅绒帽子。

旁白 neutral

But then I tried to picture the inside of my imaginary house... and I couldn't

可当我拼命回想那栋想象中的房子里面是什么样……却怎么也想不出来。

旁白 neutral

That was because I'd never been in a real house in all my 18 years

那是因为,长到十八岁,我从来就没进过真正的房子。

旁白 neutral

" Je-ru-sha Ab-bott, you are want-ed in the of-fice

“杰——鲁——莎·阿——伯——特,办——公——室——有——请。

旁白 neutral

And I think you'd better hurry up!"

我劝你最好快点!”

旁白 neutral

Tommy Dillon came singing up the stairs

汤米·狄伦一路唱着歌上楼来了。

旁白 neutral

He'd recently joined the choir, so he sang all the time

他最近刚加入唱诗班,所以什么时候都在唱。

旁白 neutral

I pulled myself away from the window." Who wants me?" I asked anxiously

我硬让自己从窗边离开。“谁找我?”我担心地问。

旁白 neutral

" Mrs. Lip-pett and I think she's mad."

"利佩特太太和我都觉得她疯了。"

旁白 neutral

" Oh no!" I groaned

"哦,不!"我呻吟道。

旁白 neutral

" What did I do? Were the sandwiches too thick today?

"我做了什么?今天的三明治切得太厚了吗?

旁白 neutral

Did a lady visitor see the hole in an orphan's stocking?"

还是有位女访客看到了孤儿袜子上的破洞?"

旁白 neutral

Tommy shrugged. He had no idea, but he followed me downstairs

汤米耸耸肩。他一无所知,但还是跟着我下了楼。

旁白 neutral

The long lower hallway was dark

楼下长长的走廊一片漆黑。

旁白 neutral

One last trustee stood in the open door

最后一位理事站在敞开的门口。

旁白 neutral

He was a tall man

他是个高个子男人。

旁白 neutral

He motioned for an automobile to pull up to the door

他示意一辆汽车开到门前。

旁白 neutral

As the automobile approached, its headlights cast the man's shadow against the wall

汽车驶近时,车灯把他的影子投射在墙上。

旁白 neutral

The shadow had very long arms and legs

那影子有非常长的手臂和腿。

旁白 neutral

Suddenly my anxiety melted, and I began to laugh

突然,我的焦虑消散了,我开始笑了起来。

旁白 neutral

" That shadow looks just like a giant daddy longlegs!" I whispered to Tommy

“那影子看起来就像一只巨大的长腿蜘蛛!”我小声对汤米说。

旁白 neutral

He laughed too

他也笑了。

旁白 neutral

" Good luck!" he sang as he left me outside Mrs. Lippett's door

“祝你好运!”他把我留在利佩特太太门口时,半说半唱地讲道。

旁白 neutral

I can find the humor in most things

我能从大多数事情中发现有趣之处。

旁白 neutral

So, still smiling about Daddy Longlegs, I knocked on Mrs. Lippett's door

于是,我依然为长腿蜘蛛的事笑着,敲响了利佩特太太的门。

旁白 neutral

Much to my surprise, the matron looked almost as cheerful as I did

令我非常惊讶的是,女院长看起来几乎和我一样愉快。

旁白 neutral

" Sit down, Jerusha. I have something to say to you."

“请坐,杰鲁莎。我有话要对你说。”

旁白 neutral

I dropped into the nearest chair

我一屁股坐在了最近的椅子上。

旁白 neutral

An automobile flashed past the window

一辆汽车从窗外一闪而过。

旁白 neutral

Mrs. Lippett glanced at it

利佩特太太瞥了一眼。

旁白 neutral

" Did you notice the gentleman who just left?"

“你注意到刚才离开的那位先生了吗?”

旁白 neutral

" I only saw his back."

“我只看到了他的背影。”

旁白 neutral

" He's one of our wealthiest trustees

“他是我们最富有的理事之一。

旁白 neutral

Over the years he has given large sums of money to the orphanage

这些年来,他给了孤儿院大笔捐款。

旁白 neutral

But I'm not allowed to mention his name."

但我不被允许提到他的名字。”

旁白 neutral

I didn't know what to say

我不知道该说什么。

旁白 neutral

I wasn't used to talking to her about trustees and their strange requests

我不习惯和她谈论理事们以及他们奇怪的要求。

旁白 neutral

" In the past he has taken an interest in several of our boys

“过去他曾对我们这里的几个男孩产生过兴趣。

旁白 neutral

Do you remember Charles Benton or Henry Freize?

你还记得查尔斯·本顿或亨利·弗赖兹吗?

旁白 neutral

Mr. — I mean, this trustee — sent them both through college

那位先生——我是说,这位理事——供他们两个念完了大学。

旁白 neutral

They repaid him with hard work and success. That's all he required."

他们用努力和成功作为回报。那就是他所要求的全部。”

旁白 neutral

The matron glanced at the window again, as if expecting the gentleman to return

女舍监又看了一眼窗外,仿佛在期待那位先生回来。

旁白 neutral

" So far he has only helped boys

“到目前为止,他只帮助过男孩。

旁白 neutral

I've never been able to interest him in helping girls

我一直没能让他对帮助女孩感兴趣。

旁白 neutral

No matter how smart they were. I guess he dislikes girls." Mrs. Lippett paused

不管她们有多聪明。我猜他不喜欢女孩。”利佩特太太顿了顿。

旁白 neutral

She seemed to expect a reply here

她似乎在这里期待着一个回应。

旁白 neutral

So I said the first thing that came into my head." Yes, ma'am."

所以我想也没想就脱口而出。“是的,夫人。”

旁白 neutral

Satisfied, Mrs. Lippett continued

满意了,利佩特太太继续说道。

旁白 neutral

" Today at our meeting, the question of your future came up."

“今天在我们的会议上,提到了你未来的问题。”

旁白 neutral

" Yes, ma'am," I replied politely

“是的,夫人。”我礼貌地回答。

旁白 neutral

Inside I was filled with a mix of curiosity — and dread

我的内心充满了好奇——又混杂着恐惧。