Level 6 · 瑞士家庭鲁滨逊
🎬

E11 · Episodes

011 制作蜡烛和黄油

制作蜡烛和黄油

Little Fox Level 6 · The Swiss Family Robinson · Episode 11 — 制作蜡烛和黄油.

68 句 · 动画课 · 先观看再听写

旁白 neutral

One day while Fritz and I were out exploring, I noticed some interesting bushes

有一天,我和弗里茨外出探索时,我注意到了一些有趣的灌木丛。

旁白 neutral

They were loaded with small, white berries that were waxy in appearance

上面结满了小小的、看起来像蜡一样的白色浆果。

旁白 neutral

" You know, Fritz, we might be able to use these berries to make candles," I said

“你知道吗,弗里茨,我们也许能用这些浆果来做蜡烛。”我说。

旁白 neutral

" Oh, that would make Mother happy

“哦,那肯定会让你妈妈高兴的。

旁白 neutral

She doesn't like having to set aside her work and go to bed as soon as the sun sets."

她不喜欢太阳一落山,就得放下手里的活儿去睡觉。”

旁白 neutral

The wax would be more brittle than beeswax, but it would burn well and with a pleasant scent

这种蜡会比蜂蜡更脆,但它会烧得很好,而且会散发出怡人的香气。

旁白 neutral

Having the donkey with us, we quickly gathered enough berries to fill one of the large canvas sacks he carried

有驴子跟着我们,很快我们就采集了足够的浆果,装满了它驮着的一个大帆布袋。

旁白 neutral

We then continued on our way

然后我们继续赶路。

旁白 neutral

Very soon we came upon a tree with a whole colony of birds

很快,我们来到了一棵树前,树上栖息着一大群鸟。

旁白 neutral

Their nests were built in a mass around the tree trunk and branches

它们的巢成群地筑在树干和树枝周围。

旁白 neutral

A roof-like covering of straw and grass protected the colony from the rain and hot sun

一层用稻草和草铺成的屋顶状覆盖物,保护着聚居地免受雨水和烈日侵袭。

旁白 neutral

" The nests are like rooms in a house!" said Fritz

“这些鸟巢就像房子里的房间一样!”弗里茨说。

旁白 neutral

We watched as the birds swarmed in and out by the thousands

我们看着成千上万的鸟儿成群结队地飞进飞出。

旁白 neutral

Most of them were plain brown birds, but there were also a few beautiful, bright parakeets

它们大多是普通的棕色鸟儿,但也有几只漂亮、鲜艳的长尾小鹦鹉。

旁白 neutral

Fritz was curious about the nests so he climbed the tree

弗里茨对鸟巢很好奇,于是他爬上了树。

旁白 neutral

He put his hands into several nests, hoping to capture a young bird

他把手伸进好几个鸟巢里,希望能抓到一只幼鸟。

旁白 neutral

" Ow!" he cried." Something pecked my finger."

“哎哟!”他喊道。“有东西啄了我的手指。”

旁白 neutral

He reached back in and pulled out a small bird

他又把手伸进去,掏出了一只小鸟。

旁白 neutral

Fritz's prize was not one of the brown birds, but a pretty green parakeet

弗里茨的“战利品”不是那些棕色鸟儿中的一只,而是一只漂亮的绿色长尾小鹦鹉。

旁白 neutral

For the moment he put it in his pocket and we walked on

他暂时把它放进口袋里,然后我们继续往前走。

旁白 neutral

Our next discovery was a strange tree with bark that oozed a gummy resin

我们的下一个新发现是一棵奇怪的树,树皮会渗出黏黏的树脂。

旁白 neutral

Fritz scraped some off

弗里茨刮了一些下来。

旁白 neutral

" Look at this, Father. When I stretch this gum, it springs right back

“您看这个,父亲。我一拉这树胶,它马上就弹回去了。

旁白 neutral

Do you think it could be rubber?"

您觉得这会是橡胶吗?”

旁白 neutral

" If it is, that's a most valuable discovery."

“如果是的话,那可真是一个非常有价值的发现。”

旁白 neutral

" Why is it valuable? I've only seen rubber used for erasing pencil marks

“它为什么有价值呢?我只见过橡胶用来擦铅笔字。

旁白 neutral

How else can you use it?"

它还能有什么别的用处呢?”

旁白 neutral

" I would try to make waterproof boots and shoes!"

“我会试着用它来做防水的靴子和鞋子!”

旁白 neutral

Pleased with our discoveries, we headed back to Falconhurst

我们对这些发现很满意,便动身返回猎鹰巢。

旁白 neutral

The next morning the boys wanted to make candles as soon as breakfast was over

第二天早上,吃完早饭,孩子们就迫不及待地想去做蜡烛了。

旁白 neutral

We put the berries in a large, shallow iron pot on the fire

我们把浆果放到火上的一口又大又浅的铁锅里。

旁白 neutral

The sweet-scented wax melted rapidly

散发着甜香的蜡很快就融化了。

旁白 neutral

We skimmed it from the surface of the berry juice, and put it in another pot

我们将蜡从浆果汁表面撇去,然后放进另一口锅里。

旁白 neutral

I then took the wicks my wife had prepared and dipped them in the wax

然后,我拿起妻子准备好的烛芯,把它们浸到蜡里。

旁白 neutral

" These are very skinny candles," said Ernest as the boys hung them on a bush to dry

“这些蜡烛好细啊,”厄内斯特说,这时男孩们正把蜡烛挂在一棵灌木上晾干。

旁白 neutral

" They're not done yet," I said." We're going to dip them several times."

“还没做完呢,”我说,“我们得多浸几次。”

旁白 neutral

We soon had sturdy candles, which we left in a cool spot to harden

我们很快就有了结实的蜡烛,把它们拿到一个阴凉的地方去硬化。

旁白 neutral

And that night Falconhurst was brilliantly illuminated for the first time

那天晚上,猎鹰巢第一次被照得灯火通明。

旁白 neutral

" You are very clever indeed," my wife said to me

“你真是太聪明了,”妻子对我说。

旁白 neutral

" I just wish you could figure out a way to make butter

“我只是希望你能想个办法做出黄油来。

旁白 neutral

Day after day I'm annoyed about the large amount of good cream that goes bad before I can use it."

日复一日,那么多好奶油在我用之前就变质了,真让我心烦。

旁白 neutral

" Let me think about that

“让我想想办法。

旁白 neutral

I hoped we would find a churn on the wreck, but we didn't."

我本希望能在沉船上找到个搅乳器,可惜没找到。”

旁白 neutral

By the next morning, I had come up with a plan

到第二天早上,我想出了一个办法。

旁白 neutral

" Bring me one of our gourd bottles," I said to Jack

“把我们的葫芦瓶拿一个来,”我对杰克说。

旁白 neutral

He quickly fetched a gourd that we had hollowed out

他很快拿来了一个我们挖空了的葫芦。

旁白 neutral

We had also added a small hole at one end

我们还在它一端开了个小孔。

旁白 neutral

I partially filled the gourd with cream and then tightly plugged the hole with a piece of cork

我往葫芦里装了些奶油,然后用一块软木塞紧紧塞住了孔。

旁白 neutral

" Here, boys," I said

“来,孩子们,”我说。

旁白 neutral

" You can continue the job while I become a carpenter and build a cart."

“你们接着干这个活儿,我要当木匠去做辆板车。”

旁白 neutral

I gave them some directions and set about my own work

我给了他们一些指点,便开始干我自己的活。

旁白 neutral

The boys pounded four stakes into the ground

男孩们把四根木桩敲进了地里。

旁白 neutral

Then they fastened a square of sailcloth to the stakes with cord

然后用绳子把一块方形的帆布绑在木桩上。

旁白 neutral

After that they placed the gourd full of cream on this cloth cradle

之后,他们把装满奶油的葫芦放在了这个布吊床上。

旁白 neutral

Each taking a side of the cloth, they rolled the gourd back and forth without stopping

他们一人抓住布的一边,不停地来回滚动着葫芦。

旁白 neutral

" This is hard work," complained Ernest

“这活儿真累,”欧内斯特抱怨道。

旁白 neutral

" No it isn't," said Jack." This is fun."

“才不累呢,”杰克说,“这很好玩嘛。”

旁白 neutral

" Keep at it, boys," I said as I looked up from my work

“继续干,孩子们,”我停下手中的活,抬起头说。

旁白 neutral

" This is going to take awhile."

“这得花些时间呢。”

旁白 neutral

I expected little Franz to complain too

我本以为小弗朗茨也会抱怨。

旁白 neutral

But he was just happy to be helping his older brothers with some real and useful work

但他能帮哥哥们做点真正有用的工作,光是这点就很开心了。

旁白 neutral

After half an hour I told the boys to stop and look inside the gourd

半小时后,我让孩子们停下来,看看葫芦里面。

旁白 neutral

" What's happened to the cream?" asked little Franz, shaking the gourd

“奶油怎么了?”小弗朗茨摇着葫芦问道。

旁白 neutral

" We've turned it into butter!" said Jack

“我们把奶油变成黄油啦!”杰克说。

旁白 neutral

" Now take the contents to your mother with my compliments," I said

“现在,把里面的东西带去给你们妈妈,并转达我的问候,”我说。

旁白 neutral

My wife was delighted with the results from my gourd " churn."

妻子对我用葫芦“搅乳器”做出的成果感到非常高兴。

旁白 neutral

That night at supper we had plenty of butter to go with our meal

那晚吃晚饭时,我们有了足够的黄油来佐餐。

旁白 neutral

" You've more than made up for scaring me with that sailboat!" she said

“你那次驾帆船可把我吓坏了,这次你完全弥补回来了!”她说。