Level 6 · 瑞士家庭鲁滨逊
🎬

E09 · Episodes

009 重要发现

重要发现

Little Fox Level 6 · The Swiss Family Robinson · Episode 9 — 重要发现.

70 句 · 动画课 · 先观看再听写

旁白 neutral

After carefully examining what Ernest had found, I determined that they were cassava plants

仔细检查了欧内斯特发现的东西后,我确定那是木薯植物。

旁白 neutral

With the plants ' roots, we could lose every other food that we possessed and still not go hungry

有了这些植物的根,我们就算失去所有其他食物也不会挨饿。

旁白 neutral

" If we can collect enough roots," I said," we'll attempt to make bread

“如果我们能收集到足够的根,”我说,“我们可以尝试做面包。

旁白 neutral

But the plant can be poisonous

但这种植物可能有毒。

旁白 neutral

We'll need to take great care in preparing the flour and baking the bread

我们在准备面粉和烤面包时需要格外小心。”

旁白 neutral

First we must finish unloading the tub boat and the raft."

首先我们必须把浴盆船和木筏上的东西都卸完。”

旁白 neutral

That job took us the rest of the afternoon and part of the next morning

这项工作花了我们那天下午剩下的时间和第二天上午的一部分。

旁白 neutral

I had intended to spend the rest of the day at Falconhurst

我本打算那天剩下的时间都在鹰巢度过。

旁白 neutral

But the sea was calm, so I decided to make another trip to the wreck

但海面平静,所以我决定再去一次沉船那里。

旁白 neutral

Ernest and Franz returned to the tree house with my wife while Jack lingered on the beach

欧内斯特和弗朗茨跟我妻子回到了树屋,而杰克在海滩上逗留。

旁白 neutral

" You want to go with us, don't you?" I said to him." Well, come on then."

“你想跟我们一起去,是不是?”我对他说。“那好,来吧。”

旁白 neutral

Jack grinned and quickly followed Fritz and me onto the tub boat

杰克咧嘴一笑,迅速跟着弗里茨和我登上了澡盆船。

旁白 neutral

When we reached the wreck, Jack went down into the hold

到达沉船处时,杰克下到了货舱里。

旁白 neutral

I soon heard a loud rattling noise as he joined me on deck

不一会儿,当他来到甲板上和我会合时,我听到一阵响亮的咔嗒声。

旁白 neutral

" Look what I found — a wheelbarrow!" he said

“看我找到了什么——一辆独轮手推车!”他说。

旁白 neutral

" This is just the thing for bringing home potatoes."

“这正好用来把土豆运回家。”

旁白 neutral

He was then followed by Fritz, who had made an even more important discovery

他身后跟着弗里茨,弗里茨有了一个更重要的发现。

旁白 neutral

" I found a small sailboat!" he announced." All the parts are packed together

“我找到了一艘小帆船!”他宣布道。“所有部件都打包在一起。

旁白 neutral

There are even a couple of small brass cannons!"

甚至还有两门小铜炮!”

旁白 neutral

If he was right, then this would be a most useful item

如果他说得没错,那这将是一件非常有用的东西。

旁白 neutral

I hurried to look at the sailboat

我赶紧去看那艘帆船。

旁白 neutral

" Oh," I said with disappointment in my voice

“哦,”我失望地说。

旁白 neutral

Yes, it was a sailboat

是的,那是一艘帆船。

旁白 neutral

But it was going to take a lot of work to put it together and make it seaworthy

但要把它组装起来并修到能下水航行,还得花很多工夫。

旁白 neutral

At the moment we only had time enough to get something to eat and hurry to the tub boat

此刻我们只有时间吃点东西,然后赶紧回到小木盆船上。

旁白 neutral

We carried home a copper boiler, iron plates, tobacco graters, and three wheelbarrows

我们带回家一只铜锅炉、几块铁板、几把烟草擦子和三辆手推车。

旁白 neutral

At Falconhurst my wife and the other boys had gathered a large supply of potatoes and cassava roots

在猎鹰巢,我妻子和别的孩子已经采集了大批土豆和木薯根。

旁白 neutral

I praised them lavishly

我大大地夸奖了他们。

旁白 neutral

" Oh, Father!" blurted out little Franz

“哦,爸爸!”小弗朗茨脱口而出。

旁白 neutral

" What will you say when Mother and I give you melons and pumpkins and cucumbers?"

“等妈妈和我把甜瓜、南瓜和黄瓜拿给你们的时候,你又该怎么说呢?”

旁白 neutral

" You little chatterbox," my wife said fondly." You've let out my secret!

“你这个小话匣子,”妻子疼爱地说,“你把我的秘密泄露了!

旁白 neutral

I wanted to surprise Father when my plants sprouted."

我本想等植物发芽时给你父亲一个惊喜。”

旁白 neutral

I was puzzled." Where did you get the seeds?"

我很纳闷。“你是哪儿来的种子?”

旁白 neutral

" From my bag, of course," she replied

“当然是从我的袋子里拿的,”她答道。

旁白 neutral

" Every time I've gone for potatoes, I've sown seeds in the ground that we've dug up

“每次我去挖土豆,都会在我们翻过的地里播下种子。

旁白 neutral

I've also planted potatoes."

我还种了土豆。”

旁白 neutral

My wife looked very pleased

妻子看起来非常高兴。

旁白 neutral

But then she caught sight of the tobacco graters that we'd brought from the wreck

可随后她看见了我们从沉船上带回来的烟草擦板。

旁白 neutral

" You aren't going to make snuff?" she said in alarm

“你不会是要做鼻烟吧?”她惊慌地问。

旁白 neutral

" No," I said." Please treat my graters with respect because they'll provide you with fresh bread."

“不,”我说,“请善待我的擦板,因为它们会为你提供新鲜面包。”

旁白 neutral

" What connection can there be between tobacco graters and bread?" asked my wife

“烟草擦板和面包能有什么关系?”妻子问道。

旁白 neutral

" Besides, you need an oven to bake bread, and we don't have one."

“而且,烤面包得有烤箱,我们可没有。”

旁白 neutral

" You can't expect real loaves," I said

“别指望能做成真正的面包条,”我说。

旁白 neutral

" But I think I can bake flat cakes on these iron plates

“但我想可以在这些铁板上烤薄饼。”

旁白 neutral

We'll have to make flour first."

“我们得先磨出面粉来。”

旁白 neutral

My wife looked skeptical." It's probably a good thing we dug potatoes today."

妻子将信将疑。“今天挖了土豆,说不定是件好事。”

旁白 neutral

After thoroughly washing the cassava roots, I spread a large sailcloth on the ground

把木薯根彻底洗净后,我在地上铺了一大块帆布。

旁白 neutral

Then I called the boys and gave them each a tobacco grater

然后我叫来孩子们,每人发了一副烟草擦板。

旁白 neutral

Everyone worked at grating down the roots

大家一齐动手把根茎擦碎。

旁白 neutral

Luckily, no one was tempted to stop and taste the flour because it looked like wet sawdust

幸好,谁也没想尝一口——那面粉看着就像湿锯末。

旁白 neutral

When we were finished, we put the damp flour in a canvas bag

磨完后,我们把湿面粉装进一个帆布袋。

旁白 neutral

I squeezed and squeezed, but the flour was still wet

我挤了又挤,面粉却还是湿的。

旁白 neutral

We laid the canvas bag on a board and put another board over it

我们把帆布袋放在一块木板上,上面再压一块木板。

旁白 neutral

Then we found the heaviest things we owned — an anvil, iron bars — and set them on the top board

接着我们找来最沉的东西——铁砧、铁棒——压在上面的木板上。

旁白 neutral

The pressure on the bag was enormous, and the liquid flowed from it to the ground

袋子承受着巨大的压力,里面的液体流到了地上。

旁白 neutral

" Could we bake some bread now?" asked Fritz

“现在能烤点面包了吗?”弗里茨问。

旁白 neutral

" There doesn't seem to be any moisture left."

“看起来已经没有水分了。”

旁白 neutral

" Certainly, but I will make only a small sample today

“当然,但今天我只做一小块试试。

旁白 neutral

We must first see how it agrees with Knips and the hens."

我们得先看看尼普斯和母鸡吃了会怎么样。”

旁白 neutral

I placed an iron plate over the fire

我把一块铁板放在火上。

旁白 neutral

While it was getting hot, I mixed the flour with water and salt

铁板烧热的时候,我把面粉、水和盐和在一起。

旁白 neutral

After kneading the dough, I laid it on the hot plate to bake

揉成面团后,我把它放到滚烫的铁板上烤。

旁白 neutral

The cake smelled delicious!

薄饼闻起来真香!

旁白 neutral

I gave a small amount to the monkey and two hens

我掰了一小点给猴子和两只母鸡。

旁白 neutral

We watched them all evening for any signs of poisoning

整个晚上我们都在观察它们有没有中毒的迹象。

旁白 neutral

The next morning the animals were fine, so we baked more bread

第二天早上,动物们都好好的,我们便烤了更多的面包。

旁白 neutral

Each boy busily prepared his own cake

每个孩子都忙着给自己烤饼。

旁白 neutral

Some of the bread was burned; some was underdone

有些饼烤焦了,有些还没熟透。

旁白 neutral

But much of it was golden brown

但大部分都烤得金黄。

旁白 neutral

We were soon enjoying a delicious breakfast of bread and milk

我们很快就享用到了一顿美味的面包和牛奶早餐。