E36 · Episodes
036 马奇姑婆的决定
马奇姑婆的决定
Little Fox Level 7 · Little Women · Episode 36 — 马奇姑婆的决定.
74 句 · 动画课 · 先观看再听写
旁白 neutral
The visit with the Chesters was even shorter than the one with the Tudors
在切斯特家的拜访,甚至比在都铎家的那次还要短。
旁白 neutral
Jo and the boys erupted in laughing fits several more times before Amy made her excuses to leave
在艾米找借口告辞之前,乔和男孩们又爆发了好几次大笑。
旁白 neutral
" Are you leaving already? The boys seem to be having so much fun with your sister," Mary remarked slyly
“你们这就要走了?男孩们跟你妹妹好像玩得特别开心呢。”玛丽狡黠地说。
旁白 neutral
" Jo has a natural way with children," replied Amy in a composed voice, but feeling ashamed
“乔特别会逗孩子们开心。”艾米故作镇定地答道,心里却满是羞愧。
旁白 neutral
" We would love to stay, but I'm afraid our next appointment will require a little more traveling time."
“我们倒想再待会儿,可下一家还得赶些路呢。”
旁白 neutral
" Of course, I forgot that you don't have a carriage," Mary said innocently, but with a stab in her sentence
“当然,我忘了你们没有马车。”玛丽一脸天真地说,话里却带着刺。
旁白 neutral
Smiling sweetly, Amy thanked Mrs. Chester and Mary for their hospitality then called out to Jo
艾米甜笑着谢过切斯特太太和玛丽的款待,然后喊乔离开。
旁白 neutral
As soon as the door of the Chester home had closed, Amy's frozen smile melted, and she turned to Jo in anger
切斯特家的大门刚一关上,艾米脸上僵硬的笑容就消散了,她生气地转向乔。
旁白 neutral
" Can't you behave like a lady just for once?
“你就不能哪怕就一次,像个淑女一样吗?
旁白 neutral
Why do you choose to make a fool of yourself, of me, of our family?" she practically yelled in the middle of the street
你干吗非要让自己出丑,让我,让咱们全家都跟着丢脸?”她几乎就在大街上嚷了起来。
旁白 neutral
" Lower your voice, dear, people are watching," Jo said mockingly
“小点声,亲爱的,大家都在看呢。”乔戏谑地说。
旁白 neutral
" Jo! I'm serious! Why are you determined to ruin my life?" Amy cried passionately
“乔!我是认真的!你为什么非要毁了我的生活?”艾米激动地喊道。
旁白 neutral
" Why should I pretend to be something I'm not?" retorted Jo, who was close to shouting too
“我为什么要假装成自己不是的样子?”乔反驳道,她也几乎要喊出来了。
旁白 neutral
" I really don't like these people nor am I interested in their lives!"
“我真的不喜欢这些人,也不关心他们的生活!”
旁白 neutral
Regaining her composure, Amy breathed deeply and said," Because that's how people will learn to respect us and treat us better."
艾米恢复了平静,深吸一口气,说道:“因为只有这样,人们才会学会尊重我们,更好地对待我们。”
旁白 neutral
Shaking her head, Jo said," You're wrong, Amy
乔摇了摇头,说:“你错了,艾米。
旁白 neutral
No matter how nice we are to them, they won't think of us as their equal
不管我们待他们多好,他们也不会把我们当成平等的看待。
旁白 neutral
I thought you realized that after your party."
我还以为你在那次聚会之后就明白这个道理了。”
旁白 neutral
The two sisters walked in silence for a while, then Amy spoke up
姐妹俩默默走了一会儿,然后艾米开口了。
旁白 neutral
" Maybe you're right, but I still believe that good will come if we try to show kindness to others regardless of how they see us."
“也许你是对的,但我还是相信,无论别人怎么看我们,只要我们努力善待他人,总会有好结果的。”
旁白 neutral
" That's why you are a dreamer, Amy," acknowledged Jo," and I love you for it
"这就是为什么你是个梦想家,艾米,"乔承认道,"而我也因此爱你。"
旁白 neutral
But me? I'm practical and realistic and I don't believe that I have to change just to make another person happy."
但我呢?我讲究实际和现实,我不认为为了取悦别人就必须改变自己。"
旁白 neutral
" Then I won't ask you to," Amy said
"那我就不要求你了,"艾米说。
旁白 neutral
" You are you, Jo, and I love you for it too."
"你就是你,乔,我也因此爱你。"
旁白 neutral
Stopping in front of Aunt March's house, the two sisters gave each other a quick hug
在马奇姑妈家门前停下,姐妹俩快速地拥抱了一下。
旁白 neutral
" Can I be me now?" Jo asked playfully
"我现在能做我自己了吗?"乔开玩笑地问。
旁白 neutral
" Of course," smiled Amy." Besides, Aunt March knows your true colors anyway."
"当然,"艾米笑着说。"再说,马奇姑妈反正知道你的真性情。"
旁白 neutral
Giggling, the sisters held hands as they walked up toward the large mansion
姐妹俩咯咯笑着,手牵手朝那座大宅走去。
旁白 neutral
Aunt March's housemaid Esther brought the girls to the west wing sitting room
马奇姑妈的女仆埃斯特把姑娘们带到了西侧的起居室。
旁白 neutral
( Aunt March's mansion was so gigantic that she had three sitting rooms, one in each direction except for east.)
(马奇姑妈的宅邸非常巨大,以至于有三个起居室,除了东边之外,每个方向各有一个。)
旁白 neutral
The old lady sat in her " throne," as Jo called her large velvet armchair with gold armrests and satin cushions
老太太坐在她的“宝座”上——乔这样称呼那把带金色扶手和绸缎坐垫的大号天鹅绒扶手椅。
旁白 neutral
Aunt March was feeding crackers to Polly who, upon seeing them, screeched loudly," Mind your mouth!"
马奇姑妈正在喂波莉吃饼干,波莉一看见她们,便尖声大叫:“管好你的嘴!”
旁白 neutral
" Hello, Aunt March," said Amy, walking over and kissing her on both cheeks
“您好,马奇姑妈。”艾米走过去,亲了亲她的双颊。
旁白 neutral
Jo stood awkwardly because in all the years she had come to work at this house, she had never greeted her aunt with a kiss
乔尴尬地站着,因为来这栋房子干活的这些年,她从未用亲吻问候过姑妈。
旁白 neutral
" What are you standing there for like a stone statue?" the old lady snapped at Jo." Polly needs more crackers."
“你像尊石像似的杵在那儿干吗?”老太太呵斥乔道,“波莉还要饼干。”
旁白 neutral
" Crackers!" screeched the parrot
“饼干!”鹦鹉尖叫道。
旁白 neutral
Without another word, Jo turned around and headed toward the kitchen to do as Aunt March told her
乔二话不说,转身往厨房走去,照姑妈的吩咐办。
旁白 neutral
When she returned with the crackers and a dish of clean water for the bird, Jo saw a rare sight:
等她拿着饼干和一碟干净水回来给鸟儿时,乔看到一幕罕见的景象:
旁白 neutral
the deep lines on her aunt's face had softened and the corners of her mouth lifted upward in a smile
姑妈脸上深深的皱纹舒展开来,嘴角微微上扬,露出一丝笑意。
旁白 neutral
" Now Aunt March, I insist that you let me adjust these pillows back here
“好了马奇姑妈,我一定要帮您把后面的靠垫调整一下。
旁白 neutral
You don't look very comfortable sitting there," said Amy, carefully rearranging the cushions on Aunt March's chair
“您那样坐着看起来不太舒服。”艾米边说,边仔细地为马奇姑妈调整椅子上的靠垫。
旁白 neutral
" I'm fine," Aunt March said in a much more tender voice than she had ever used with Jo
“我挺好的。”马奇姑妈说,声音比平时对乔说话时温柔多了。
旁白 neutral
" Where is that sister of yours? Has she gone to make her own crackers? Polly is starving here."
“你那个姐姐哪儿去了?她是不是去给自己做饼干了?波莉在这儿都快饿坏了。”
旁白 neutral
" Here we go," said Jo in an overly cheery voice, as she pushed the crackers into Polly's face
“来了来了。”乔用一种过分欢快的语气说着,把饼干直接塞到了波莉面前。
旁白 neutral
" Let me do it, Jo," Amy said, taking the dish from her and expertly breaking off pieces to feed the bird
“我来吧,乔。”艾米说着,从她手里接过盘子,熟练地掰成小块喂给鹦鹉。
旁白 neutral
Jo had to admit that Amy excelled at her job
乔不得不承认,艾米干起活来确实很出色。
旁白 neutral
Even though Jo knew Amy was not fond of the bird, at that moment, you could not see Amy's true feelings
虽然乔知道艾米并不喜欢那只鸟,但在那一刻,你完全看不出艾米内心的真实想法,
旁白 neutral
because she treated Polly as gently as Aunt March did
因为她对待波莉的温柔劲儿,简直和马奇姑妈一模一样。
旁白 neutral
When Esther brought in the tea and biscuits
当埃丝特端来茶和饼干时,
旁白 neutral
Jo wandered over to the bookshelves to see if Aunt March had gotten any new books since she stopped working for her
乔踱到书架旁,想看看自从她不在这里工作后,马奇姑妈有没有添置新书。
旁白 neutral
" Josephine, I'd like to hear a story," Aunt March called to her
“约瑟芬,我想听个故事。”马奇姑妈唤她。
旁白 neutral
" Amy here is a darling, but no one can read a story like you can, dear."
“艾米是个可人儿,但没人比你更会讲故事了,亲爱的。”
旁白 neutral
Feeling touched, Jo selected a new book that she thought would be interesting and took it over to Aunt March
乔心里一暖,选了本自己觉得有趣的新书,走到姑妈身旁。
旁白 neutral
" No. That one's terribly boring. Bring Stories from the Garden," said her aunt
“不,那本无聊极了。去拿《花园故事》来。”姑妈说。
旁白 neutral
" But doesn't The Pirate's Treasure Box sound more exciting and adventurous?"
“可是《海盗的宝藏箱》听起来不是更刺激、更惊险吗?”
旁白 neutral
Jo asked persuasively, since the title was especially appealing to her
乔循循善诱地问,这书名对她特别有吸引力。
旁白 neutral
" I don't care for that one, Josephine. The other one is better," Aunt March said firmly
“我对那本没兴趣,约瑟芬。另一本更好。”马奇姑妈语气坚决。
旁白 neutral
" Yes, Aunt March," Jo said, bringing the garden stories book and sitting down next to her aunt
“好的,马奇姑妈。”乔应道,取来花园故事书,在姑妈身边坐下。
旁白 neutral
Amy poured the tea and chose some biscuits for Aunt March while Jo opened the book to read
乔翻开书准备念,艾米则倒了茶,为马奇姑妈挑了几块饼干。
旁白 neutral
" Girls, there is something I want to discuss with you,"
“姑娘们,有件事我想跟你们商量。”
旁白 neutral
Aunt March began as she accepted the teacup from Amy with one hand, while placing the other on Jo's arm to stop her from reading
马奇姑妈开了口,一只手接过艾米的茶杯,另一只手按住乔的胳膊,止住了她的朗读。
旁白 neutral
The sisters looked at her expectantly, waiting for her to continue
姐妹俩满怀期待地望着她,等她继续往下说。
旁白 neutral
" As you know, every summer I travel to Europe for a holiday," said Aunt March
“你们知道的,每年夏天我都会去欧洲度假。”马奇姑妈说。
旁白 neutral
" This year I have chosen to spend the entire year abroad as my health has worsened and the warmer climates seem to improve it somewhat."
“今年我打算在那儿待一整年,我身子骨不如从前了,暖和点儿的气候似乎有些帮助。”
旁白 neutral
" Of course, Aunt March, your health is the main priority," said Amy
“那当然,马奇姑妈,您的健康是最要紧的。”艾米说。
旁白 neutral
Nodding at her, Aunt March continued." However, the doctor recommends that I travel with a companion..."
姑妈朝她点点头,继续说道:“不过,医生建议我此行带个伴儿……”
旁白 neutral
Aunt March chose to pause here, sip her tea, and adjust a cushion before continuing
说到这儿,马奇姑妈故意顿了顿,呷了口茶,又挪了挪靠垫,这才继续。
旁白 neutral
Meanwhile, both Jo and Amy, realizing what Aunt March was about to announce, held their breath
此刻,乔和艾米都明白了姑妈要宣布什么,两人不禁屏住了呼吸。
旁白 neutral
Each girl hoped her heart wouldn't jump out of her chest because it was beating so fast
每个姑娘都盼着心儿别跳出嗓子眼,它实在跳得太快了。
旁白 neutral
" I must confess it was a hard decision for me to make," said Aunt March
“我得承认,这决定对我来说很难。”马奇姑妈说。
旁白 neutral
" Whether you believe it or not, I am fond of both of you for obviously different reasons
“信不信由你们,你们两个我都喜欢,当然理由各不相同。”
旁白 neutral
However, as I will be covering all expenses for this trip, I expect my companion to be someone who will do exactly as I say."
“可是,这笔旅费全由我出,我希望我的伴儿能事事听从我的安排。”
旁白 neutral
Jo could hardly sit still since her dream of traveling to Europe seemed about to come true in the next few seconds
乔简直坐不住了,她游历欧洲的梦想,眼看下一秒就要成真了。
旁白 neutral
Then looking at each girl long and hard, Aunt March held out her hand and said," Therefore, I've decided to take Amy to Europe with me."
接着,姑妈久久地、细细地打量了两人,然后伸出手来,说道:“因此,我决定带艾米同去欧洲。”