Level 7 · 小妇人
🎬

E21 · Episodes

021 乔的决定

乔的决定

Little Fox Level 7 · Little Women · Episode 21 — 乔的决定.

74 句 · 动画课 · 先观看再听写

旁白 neutral

Time flew quickly and before long, Jo's second story, entitled " Beautiful Strangers," was published in the Eagle ( the name of the newspaper )

时光飞逝,不久之后,乔的第二篇小说《美丽的陌生人》在《鹰报》上发表了。

旁白 neutral

The editor of the paper liked Jo's stories so much that he bought four more of her works

报社的编辑非常喜欢乔的小说,又买下了她的四部作品。

旁白 neutral

" The ending is so tragic, Jo," Beth remarked, pulling her sweater tightly around herself

“这结局太悲惨了,乔,”贝丝说着,把毛衣裹得更紧了些。

旁白 neutral

The sudden drop in temperatures had brought about a colder winter than anyone anticipated

气温骤降,带来了一个比任何人预料的都更寒冷的冬天。

旁白 neutral

" I felt this story should be more realistic; not so fanciful," the writer explained

“我觉得这个故事应该更写实一些,不能这么异想天开,”作家解释道。

旁白 neutral

" Well, I think you should have made it happier," criticized the artist, as she thumped a lump of clay on the table to soften it

“嗯,我觉得你应该让结局更圆满些,”艺术家一边批评,一边把一块黏土摔在桌上让它变软。

旁白 neutral

Amy had moved on to experimenting with clay, and was molding small sculptures of everyone and everything these days

艾米近来转而尝试黏土创作,每天都在捏制身边人和各种事物的小雕塑。

旁白 neutral

Mother's familiar footsteps coming up the stairs outside sent the girls scurrying along to welcome her home

听到母亲从外面楼梯上传来熟悉的脚步声,女孩们都急忙跑去迎接她回家。

旁白 neutral

Tossing the newspaper onto the sofa, Beth raced to the door as Meg plumped up the cushions on Mother's chair

贝丝把报纸扔到沙发上,冲向门口,与此同时梅格把母亲椅子上的靠垫拍松软。

旁白 neutral

and Jo ran to warm her slippers by the fireplace

乔则跑过去把她的拖鞋放在壁炉边暖着。

旁白 neutral

Amy wiped the clay muck off her hands and cleaned up her mess

艾米擦掉手上的泥巴,收拾好自己的东西。

旁白 neutral

" Hello, my girls!" Mother came into the room, holding out her arms

“孩子们,你们好!”母亲走进房间,张开双臂。

旁白 neutral

Her daughters embraced her, forming a circle so Mother would warm up quickly

女儿们拥抱着她,围成一个圈,好让母亲快点暖和起来。

旁白 neutral

" I'd better see to dinner," Meg said, leaving her sisters tending Mother while she went to help Hannah

“我得去看看晚饭,”梅格说,留下姐妹们照顾母亲,自己去帮汉娜。

旁白 neutral

" Do we have any letters from Father?" asked Beth

“有爸爸的来信吗?”贝丝问。

旁白 neutral

Only Beth remembered that it was letter day and Father always sent a message, whether it was brief or detailed, to his family

只有贝丝记得今天是来信的日子,爸爸总会给家里捎来消息,不论长短。

旁白 neutral

" I checked but there wasn't anything today," Mother said in a gentle voice

“我看过了,但今天什么都没有,”母亲轻声说。

旁白 neutral

The girls grew silent, not wanting to ask questions that might result in answers they dreaded to hear

姑娘们安静下来,不愿追问,生怕听到令人担心的回答。

旁白 neutral

Sensing their uneasiness, Mother said," It's not easy to write every week, especially when the soldiers are moving around so much

感觉到她们的不安,母亲说,“每周都写信不容易,尤其是当士兵们到处转移的时候。”

旁白 neutral

I'm sure your father is just fine."

“我相信你们的爸爸没事。”

旁白 neutral

A sudden knock on the door interrupted their conversation

一阵突然的敲门声打断了她们的谈话。

旁白 neutral

Puzzled, Mother got up and opened the door to find a young man in uniform shivering in the cold

母亲感到疑惑,起身开门,发现一个穿制服的年轻人在寒风中瑟瑟发抖。

旁白 neutral

He held a thin square envelope in his hand

他手里拿着一个薄薄的方形信封。

旁白 neutral

" Mrs. March? Telegram for you," he said in an emotionless voice

“马奇太太?您的电报,”他用毫无感情的声音说道。

旁白 neutral

Mother took the envelope with shaky hands but held onto Jo for support as she made her way back to her chair

母亲用颤抖的手接过信封,但抓着乔作为支撑,走回椅子旁。

旁白 neutral

" Jo, could you, please? I can't..." Mother, who was usually calm and cool, sounded frightened like a little girl

“乔,你能帮我看看吗?我做不到……” 平常冷静沉着的母亲,声音听起来像个小姑娘一样害怕。

旁白 neutral

Impatiently ripping the envelope open, Jo read the message on the telegram," Mrs. March, your husband is very ill. Must come at once."

乔不耐烦地撕开信封,读着电报上的内容:“马奇太太,您的丈夫病重,必须立刻赶来。”

旁白 neutral

Jo stifled a cry as the telegram dropped from her hands, falling to the floor

乔忍住了哭声,电报从她手中滑落,掉在地上。

旁白 neutral

Mother sat erect but silent tears fell onto her lap while she tried to comfort Beth and Amy, who were wailing loudly

母亲坐得笔直,但无声的泪水滴落在膝盖上,她试图安抚正在大声哭号的贝丝和艾米。

旁白 neutral

" What's the matter?" Meg ran into the room, Hannah close at her heels

“怎么了?”梅格跑进房间,汉娜紧跟在她身后。

旁白 neutral

When Jo told them about the telegram, Meg collapsed onto the sofa, holding her head in her hands

乔把电报的事告诉大家后,梅格双手抱头,瘫倒在沙发上。

旁白 neutral

Hannah cried," Poor Mr. March. What are we to do?"

汉娜哭道:“可怜的马奇先生,我们该怎么办啊?”

旁白 neutral

The grieving period for Father was short since time was running out and Mother had to leave immediately to be with him

为父亲哀伤的时间很短,因为时间紧迫,母亲必须立刻动身去陪他。

旁白 neutral

" Meg, pack extra socks and sweaters for Father

“梅格,多带些袜子和毛衣给父亲。”

旁白 neutral

Beth, go downstairs and ask Hannah for my medicine bag."

“贝丝,下楼去找汉娜拿我的医药包。”

旁白 neutral

At that moment, the doorbell rang and Amy went to see who it was

就在这时,门铃响了,艾米去看是谁来了。

旁白 neutral

When Mother and Meg came downstairs, they recognized the voices of Mr. Laurence, Laurie, and Mr. Brookes

当母亲和梅格下楼时,她们听出了劳伦斯先生、劳里和布鲁克斯先生的声音。

旁白 neutral

" Mrs. March, young Amy just told us the terrible news

“马奇太太,小艾米刚刚告诉了我们这个可怕的消息。”

旁白 neutral

We are at your service to do whatever is needed in order to help you and your girls,"

“我们随时听候您的吩咐,只要能帮到您和您的女儿们,任何事都行。”

旁白 neutral

Mr. Laurence offered kindly, taking Mother's arm as he led her into the living room

劳伦斯先生亲切地说着,挽起母亲的胳膊,将她领进了客厅。

旁白 neutral

" How did you know?" Meg asked Mr. Brookes, who also extended his arm to help her

“你怎么知道的?”梅格问布鲁克斯先生,他也伸出手臂来扶她。

旁白 neutral

" Laurie saw a soldier walking toward your house, and we all know that the army only sends a soldier if something is seriously wrong."

“劳里看见一个士兵朝你家走去,我们都知道,只有出了严重的事,军队才会派士兵来。”

旁白 neutral

Mother bowed her head in gratitude saying: " I am always grateful for your help, Mr. Laurence."

母亲感激地低下头说:“我一直很感谢您的帮助,劳伦斯先生。”

旁白 neutral

Shaking his head, he replied," Please don't mention it since it's not only our duty but also our honor to help friends in their time of need."

他摇摇头回答:“请别这么说,在朋友需要时伸出援手,不仅是我们的责任,也是我们的荣幸。”

旁白 neutral

" Would you allow me to go with you so that you're not traveling alone?" asked Mr. Brookes

“请允许我陪您一起去吧,这样您就不用独自赶路了。”布鲁克斯先生问。

旁白 neutral

Mother's eyes filled with tears as she nodded, accepting his gracious offer

母亲眼里噙满泪水,点了点头,接受了他善意的提议。

旁白 neutral

" Now, Mrs. March, time is crucial," said Mr. Laurence firmly," so I think you should prepare your things and leave as soon as possible."

“好了,马奇太太,时间至关重要,”劳伦斯先生坚定地说,“所以我想您该收拾好东西,尽快出发。”

旁白 neutral

" Grandfather, shall I ask Jenson to get the carriage ready?" asked Laurie, as he made his way to the door

“爷爷,要我叫詹森把马车准备好吗?”劳里一边问,一边向门口走去。

旁白 neutral

" Yes, and make sure Cook has prepared enough food and drink for the journey," Mr. Laurence called out as his grandson left to speak with the stable manager

“好,还有,让厨娘为旅途准备好足够的食物和水。”劳伦斯先生在孙子离开去跟马厩管理人说话时喊道。

旁白 neutral

Within an hour Mother was ready to leave

不到一小时,母亲就做好了出发的准备。

旁白 neutral

Doing a last-minute check, she looked around to see if she had everything she needed

做行前最后的检查,母亲环顾四周,看是否带齐了需要的物品。

旁白 neutral

" Where's Jo?" Mother asked, unable to see her second daughter

“乔在哪儿?”母亲问道,没有看见二女儿的身影。

旁白 neutral

" She's somewhere, I'm sure," said Meg, helping Mother put her coat on

“她肯定在附近某个地方,”梅格一边说着,一边帮母亲穿上外套。

旁白 neutral

" Tell Father we love him," said Beth, trying with difficulty to control her tears

“转告爸爸我们爱他,”贝丝说着,艰难地忍住眼泪。

旁白 neutral

" We're praying for his rapid recovery," said Amy

“我们祈祷他能早日康复,”艾美说道。

旁白 neutral

" Girls, you must mind Meg and Jo, and don't forget the Hummels, who need our help as much as anyone," said Mother

“孩子们,你们一定要听梅格和乔的话,别忘了赫梅尔一家,他们和其他人一样需要我们的帮助,”母亲叮嘱道。

旁白 neutral

" The carriage is ready," said Laurie, poking his head in the door

“马车备好了,”劳里探头进来说道。

旁白 neutral

As Mother turned to say good-bye, Jo, shoving Laurie forcefully, suddenly burst in through the door

母亲转身正要告别时,乔猛地推开劳里,突然冲进了门。

旁白 neutral

She was wearing a bonnet tied carelessly around her head

她头上戴着一顶系得歪歪扭扭的帽子。

旁白 neutral

" I made it in time," she gasped

“我及时赶到了,”她喘着气说。

旁白 neutral

" Where have you been, Jo?" Meg asked in an annoyed voice

“你去哪儿了,乔?”梅格用有些生气的语气问道。

旁白 neutral

" To get something to contribute to Father's well-being," Jo answered in a trembling voice

“去拿点东西,为父亲的康复尽一份力,”乔用颤抖的声音回答。

旁白 neutral

She handed Mother some bills and continued," It's not much, Mother, but I don't have anything else to give."

她递给母亲一些钞票,继续说道:“不多,妈妈,但我实在没有别的可以给了。”

旁白 neutral

Counting the money, Mother questioned her daughter," This is a lot, Jo. Where did you get it from?"

母亲数着钱,疑惑地问女儿:“这太多了,乔。你从哪儿弄来的?”

旁白 neutral

Untying her bonnet's ribbons, Jo let the bonnet slide off her head as she stood in silence

乔解开帽带,沉默地站着,任凭帽子从头上滑落。

旁白 neutral

" Jo! Your hair!" screamed Amy

“乔!你的头发!”艾美尖叫起来。

旁白 neutral

" I had no choice," explained Jo, running her fingers through the short, boyish cut, and continued

“我别无选择,”乔解释道,用手指梳理着男孩般短短的头发,接着说,

旁白 neutral

" I remember that the barber said he bought hair and used it to make wigs

“我记得理发师说过他收购头发用来做假发。

旁白 neutral

So..." her voice broke, but she bravely carried on," I sold it."

所以……”她声音哽咽,但还是勇敢地说了下去,“我把它卖了。”

旁白 neutral

Mother held Jo tightly in her arms and whispered," Your father will know of your sacrifice and he will be so proud of you."

母亲紧紧地把乔抱在怀里,轻声说道:“你爸爸会知道你的牺牲,他会为你感到无比骄傲。”

旁白 neutral

" I'm sorry, but you must leave immediately,"

“很抱歉,但您必须马上出发了,”

旁白 neutral

Laurie interrupted gently, deliberately avoiding Jo's eyes since he had not decided yet how he felt about her new haircut

劳里轻声打断道,他故意避开了乔的目光,因为他还没想好自己对她的新发型该作何感想。

旁白 neutral

Not wanting Mother to worry, the girls forced themselves to smile and look hopeful

为了让母亲放心,女孩们都强颜欢笑,装出满怀希望的样子。

旁白 neutral

As soon as Mother had closed the door behind her, however, the March sisters all broke down weeping

然而,母亲刚在身后关上门,马奇家四姐妹就一起泣不成声了。