Level 6 · 长腿叔叔
🎬

E23 · Episodes

023 与茱莉亚的圣诞节

与茱莉亚的圣诞节

Little Fox Level 6 · Daddy Longlegs · Episode 23 — 与茱莉亚的圣诞节.

87 句 · 动画课 · 先观看再听写

旁白 neutral

January 11

1月11日

旁白 neutral

Dear Daddy Longlegs

亲爱的长腿叔叔:

旁白 neutral

I meant to write to you from New York City, but I was so busy!

我本来打算在纽约就给你写信的,可我实在太忙了!

旁白 neutral

I had an interesting time at Julia's house

我在茱莉亚家度过了一段有趣的时光。

旁白 neutral

But I'm glad I don't belong to such a family

但我很庆幸自己不属于那样的家庭。

旁白 neutral

I'd really rather be an orphan!

我真的宁愿当个孤儿!

旁白 neutral

I could hardly breathe in that house

在那栋房子里,我几乎喘不过气来。

旁白 neutral

All the furniture was carved and upholstered and gorgeous

所有的家具都雕花带软垫,华丽极了。

旁白 neutral

But there was so much of it!

可是家具实在太多了!

旁白 neutral

All the people were beautifully dressed and rich

所有人都穿着讲究,非常富有。

旁白 neutral

But I never heard one word of real conversation from the time we arrived until we left

可是,从我们到那儿直到离开,我连一句真正的交谈都没听到过。

旁白 neutral

I don't think an idea ever entered the front door!

我不觉得有什么真正有想法的东西进过那扇大门!

旁白 neutral

As for Julia's mother, all she ever talked about were jewels and dressmakers and social engagements

至于茱莉亚的母亲,她谈来谈去就只有珠宝、裁缝和社交应酬。

旁白 neutral

So different from Mrs. McBride!

和麦克布赖德太太太不一样了!

旁白 neutral

If I ever have a family, I'm going to use Mrs. McBride as my model

要是我以后有了自己的家,我一定要以麦克布赖德太太为榜样。

旁白 neutral

I'll never let any of my children grow up like the Pendletons!

我绝不会让我的任何一个孩子长成像彭德尔顿家那样的人!

旁白 neutral

Maybe it's rude to criticize people you've been visiting

也许批评自己正在拜访的人很失礼。

旁白 neutral

If it is, please excuse me

如果是这样,请原谅我。

旁白 neutral

Don't tell anyone what I said about Julia's family

别把我说的关于茱莉亚家的事告诉任何人。

旁白 neutral

This is all just between you and me

这些话就你知我知。

旁白 neutral

I only saw Jervie once; he came for tea one afternoon

我就见过杰维一次,他有一天下午来喝茶了。

旁白 neutral

I didn't have a chance to talk to him alone because Julia and her family were there

我没机会和他单独说话,因为朱莉娅和她家人都在这儿。

旁白 neutral

" Hello, Miss Abbott," he said very formally

“你好,阿博特小姐,”他非常正式地说。

旁白 neutral

" How nice to see you again, Mr. Pendleton," I replied

“真高兴又见到您,彭德尔顿先生,”我回应道。

旁白 neutral

Then we sat across the room from each other like we'd never met before!

然后我们就这样隔着一整个房间坐着,好像我们从来没见过面似的!

旁白 neutral

It was so disappointing after our nice time last summer

经历了去年夏天那段美好时光后,这实在太令人失望了。

旁白 neutral

I'm not sure why he bothered to come at all

我不太明白他为什么费心来这一趟。

旁白 neutral

The conversation was dreadful!

那谈话真是糟透了!

旁白 neutral

All about people I didn't know and places I'd never been

全是我根本不认识的人和我从没去过的地方。

旁白 neutral

" Jervis, have you seen any of the Thompson family this season?" Mrs. Pendleton asked

“杰维斯,这个社交季你见过汤普森家的什么人吗?”彭德尔顿太太问道。

旁白 neutral

" No."

“没有。”

旁白 neutral

" The Thompsons have such a lovely home on Fifth Avenue," she said to me

她对我说:“汤普森家在第五大道有一栋非常漂亮的房子。”

旁白 neutral

" At the last ball I attended, Mrs. Thompson wore an exquisite gown

“在我上次参加的舞会上,汤普森太太穿了一件精致的礼服。

旁白 neutral

It was trimmed with the most delicate lace I've ever seen

上面镶缀着我见过的最精美的蕾丝。

旁白 neutral

And her new diamond necklace — how it sparkled!"

还有她的新钻石项链——多么闪闪发光啊!”

旁白 neutral

" It must have been very pretty," I mumbled

“那一定很漂亮。”我嘟囔着说。

旁白 neutral

I really didn't know what else to say

我真的不知道该说什么别的。

旁白 neutral

I'm not used to talking about expensive jewelry

我不习惯谈论昂贵的首饰。

旁白 neutral

As I sipped my tea, I looked at Jervie over the rim of my fine china cup

我小口喝着茶,目光越过精致的瓷杯边缘看向杰维。

旁白 neutral

I tried to catch his eye, but he was staring at the floor

我试图引起他的注意,但他一直盯着地板。

旁白 neutral

He looked miserable

他看上去可怜兮兮的。

旁白 neutral

I don't think he likes his relatives very much

我觉得他不太喜欢他的亲戚们。

旁白 neutral

And I know they don't like him!

而且我知道他们也不喜欢他!

旁白 neutral

" Such a strange young man!" Mrs. Pendleton said after Jervie left

“真是个古怪的年轻人!”杰维走后,彭德尔顿太太说。

旁白 neutral

" It's hard to believe he's one of us

“很难相信他是我们中的一员。

旁白 neutral

I know he's my husband's brother, so I shouldn't say this but..

我知道他是我丈夫的弟弟,所以我不该这么说,但是……

旁白 neutral

I really think there's something wrong with him."

我真的觉得他有点问题。”

旁白 neutral

I didn't know what to say to that!

我不知道该说什么才好!

旁白 neutral

But my silence didn't matter because Mrs. Pendleton went on talking

但我的沉默无关紧要,因为彭德尔顿太太继续说了下去。

旁白 neutral

" I don't know where he picked up some of his odd ideas

“我不知道他是从哪儿学来那些古怪想法的。

旁白 neutral

He honestly thinks that everyone in the world should have the same amount of money

他真的认为世界上每个人都应该拥有同样多的钱。

旁白 neutral

Have you ever heard anything so ridiculous?"

你听过这么荒谬的事吗?”

旁白 neutral

" Well..." I started, but she talked over me

“嗯……”我刚开口,她就打断了我。

旁白 neutral

" He throws away his money

“他四处挥霍他的钱。

旁白 neutral

He's always trying to help the poor

他总是试图帮助穷人。

旁白 neutral

As if they could be helped!"

好像他们能帮得了一样!”

旁白 neutral

Well, that got a reaction from me!

好吧,这可让我有了反应!

旁白 neutral

" What do you think he should spend his money on?" I said loudly

“那你认为他应该把钱花在什么地方?”我大声说道。

旁白 neutral

" Sensible things, of course!" Mrs. Pendleton replied

“当然是花在明智的东西上!”彭德尔顿太太回答。

旁白 neutral

" Yachts, automobiles, polo ponies!

“游艇、汽车、打马球的小马!

旁白 neutral

The kinds of things that all young men spend their money on."

所有年轻男人都会花钱的那些事。”

旁白 neutral

I didn't think it was her business how Jervie spent his money

我觉得杰维怎么花钱不关她的事。

旁白 neutral

But I smiled because I knew of one thing he'd bought — candy

但我笑了,因为我知道他买了一样东西——糖果。

旁白 neutral

He'd sent boxes of chocolate to Julia and me for Christmas

圣诞节时,他给朱莉亚和我都送了盒装巧克力。

旁白 neutral

In New York I saw so many theaters and beautiful houses

在纽约,我看到了那么多剧院和漂亮的房子。

旁白 neutral

My head was a confused jumble of marble floors and fancy furniture

我脑子里全是乱糟糟的大理石地板和花哨家具。

旁白 neutral

I'm so glad to be back at college in my own room

真高兴回到大学,待在自己的房间里。

旁白 neutral

I like being a student!

我喜欢当学生!

旁白 neutral

The books and classes keep me alive

书本和课堂让我充满活力。

旁白 neutral

If my mind gets tired, I can exercise in the gym or outdoors

如果脑子累了,我可以在体育馆或户外锻炼。

旁白 neutral

And I have lots of nice friends

我还有很多不错的朋友。

旁白 neutral

Some evenings we do nothing but talk, talk, talk

有些晚上,我们什么也不做,就是聊天,聊天,聊天。

旁白 neutral

We go to bed thinking we've solved all the world's problems

我们上床睡觉时,觉得已经解决了世界上所有的问题。

旁白 neutral

And we do like to laugh at each other's jokes

我们也很喜欢被彼此的笑话逗笑。

旁白 neutral

I think I've discovered the secret of happiness

我想我发现了幸福的秘密。

旁白 neutral

It's appreciating the little things in life, like talking with friends

那就是欣赏生活中的小事,比如和朋友聊天。

旁白 neutral

I'm going to enjoy every second of my life from now on!

从现在起,我要享受生命里的每一秒!

旁白 neutral

Yours ever

永远属于你的,

旁白 neutral

Judy

朱迪

旁白 neutral

February 11

2月11日

旁白 neutral

Dear Daddy Longlegs

亲爱的长腿叔叔,

旁白 neutral

Don't be insulted that this is so short

别因为这封信这么短而生气。

旁白 neutral

It's not a letter

这不算一封信。

旁白 neutral

It's just a note to say I'll write a letter when exams are over

这只是一张便条,告诉你我考试一结束就会写信。

旁白 neutral

I have to do well to keep my scholarship!

我得考好才能保住奖学金!

旁白 neutral

Yours, studying hard

你正在努力学习的,

旁白 neutral

Judy

朱迪