E29 · Episodes
029 选举日
选举日
Little Fox Level 6 · Black Beauty · Episode 29 — 选举日.
74 句 · 动画课 · 先观看再听写
旁白 neutral
We came home one day to find Polly waiting." Jerry!" she cried
一天我们回到家,发现波莉正等着。“杰瑞!”她喊道。
旁白 neutral
" One of the candidates was here today
“今天有位候选人来了。
旁白 neutral
He wants to hire your cab for the election next week."
他想租你的马车参加下周的选举。”
旁白 neutral
" You can tell him to find a different cab," Jerry said
“你可以叫他去找别的马车,”杰瑞说。
旁白 neutral
" I don't want anyone's election posters plastered all over mine."
“我可不想别人的竞选海报贴满我的车。”
旁白 neutral
Election Day was when the humans chose their leaders
选举日就是人类选出领导者的日子。
旁白 neutral
It seemed to make many people act strangely
这一天好像让许多人都变得怪怪的。
旁白 neutral
Even poor Dolly got teased by some naughty boys who thought her father supported the wrong party
连可怜的多莉都被几个淘气男孩取笑了,他们以为她爸爸支持错了党派。
旁白 neutral
It was all very perplexing to me
这一切对我来说真是莫名其妙。
旁白 neutral
When Election Day arrived, Jerry and I had all the work we could handle
选举日一到,我和杰瑞就忙得不可开交。
旁白 neutral
Many other cabs had been hired by the candidates and were busy dashing around town encouraging people to vote
许多其他马车被候选人租用,在城里到处奔走,鼓励人们去投票。
旁白 neutral
That made the streets even more crowded and hectic than usual
这使得街道比平时更加拥挤和喧闹。
旁白 neutral
We saw two people who were trying to cross the street get knocked down by speeding cabs!
我们看到两个正要过马路的人被飞驰的马车撞倒了!
旁白 neutral
We'd just returned to the cab stand when a young woman came toward us
我们刚回到马车等候站,一位年轻女子就向我们走来。
旁白 neutral
Her clothes were old and plain, and she was carrying a child in her arms
她的衣服又旧又朴素,怀里抱着一个孩子。
旁白 neutral
The woman's expression was confused and anxious
那女子的表情既困惑又焦急。
旁白 neutral
The child was crying in a feeble voice
孩子正用微弱的声音哭。
旁白 neutral
" Excuse me, sir," the young woman said to Jerry
“打扰一下,先生,”年轻女子对杰瑞说。
旁白 neutral
" Could you please tell me how to get to St. Thomas' Hospital?
“您能告诉我怎么去圣托马斯医院吗?”
旁白 neutral
I'm visiting from the country and don't know my way around London
我从乡下来,不熟悉伦敦的路。
旁白 neutral
I certainly didn't expect all this commotion!"
“我真没想到会这么混乱!”
旁白 neutral
" The election is today," Jerry said
“今天是选举日,”杰瑞说。
旁白 neutral
" If you don't mind my asking, why do you need to find the hospital?"
“如果你不介意我问,你为什么要找医院呢?”
旁白 neutral
" It's my son," she said
“是我儿子,”她说。
旁白 neutral
" He's four years old, but he can't walk any better than a baby
“他四岁了,可走起路来还不如个婴儿。
旁白 neutral
He's always in pain
他总是在疼。
旁白 neutral
The doctors said if I can get him to the hospital, they might be able to help him
大夫们说,要是我能把他带到医院,或许能帮到他。
旁白 neutral
So that's where I'm taking him."
所以我正要带他去那儿。”
旁白 neutral
" You can't be thinking of walking!" Jerry exclaimed
“你该不会打算走着去吧!”杰瑞喊道。
旁白 neutral
" The hospital is three miles away, and that child looks heavy."
“医院在三英里外呢,那孩子看着挺沉的。”
旁白 neutral
" Yes, he is," the woman said with a sad smile
“是的,他不会走,”妇女苦笑着说。
旁白 neutral
" But I'm strong, and I've come this far."
“但我身体结实,也已经走了这么远了。”
旁白 neutral
" No, the crowds are bad today," Jerry said firmly
“不行,今天街上人太多,太乱了,”杰瑞坚决地说。
旁白 neutral
" You and your child could be run over
“您和孩子可能会被撞倒的。
旁白 neutral
Just get in my cab, ma'am, and I'll drive you."
快上我的马车吧,夫人,我送您去。”
旁白 neutral
" Thank you, but I couldn't, sir," the woman said
“谢谢您,可是我不能这样,先生,”妇女说。
旁白 neutral
" I only have enough money to pay my way back home."
“我带的钱只够回家的路费了。”
旁白 neutral
Jerry shook his head." Forget about the money
杰瑞摇摇头,“别提钱的事了。
旁白 neutral
I have a wife and children at home, and it would be an honor to help you
我家里也有妻子和孩子,能帮助您是件荣幸的事。
旁白 neutral
Now climb in, and I'll take you there for free."
快上来吧,我免费送您到那儿。”
旁白 neutral
" Heaven bless you!" the woman cried, bursting into tears
“老天保佑你!”那女人喊道,热泪夺眶而出。
旁白 neutral
As Jerry opened the door to let her into the cab, two well-dressed men rushed over
杰瑞刚打开车门让她上马车,两名衣着考究的男子就冲了过来。
旁白 neutral
They were both wearing election colors
两人身上都别着代表各自竞选阵营的标志。
旁白 neutral
" Cab!" one of them called
“马车!”其中一人喊道。
旁白 neutral
" Engaged," Jerry said
“有人了。”杰瑞说。
旁白 neutral
The men didn't seem to hear him
那两人似乎没听见他的话。
旁白 neutral
They were already pushing past the woman, and were soon seated in the cab
他们已推开那女人抢先挤了进去,转眼就在马车里坐好了。
旁白 neutral
" Excuse me, gentlemen," Jerry said
“失礼了,先生们,”杰瑞说,
旁白 neutral
" I told you, this cab is already engaged by that lady."
“我跟你们说过,这辆马车已经有那位女士预约了。”
旁白 neutral
One of the men gave the young woman a brief glance
其中一名男子匆匆瞥了那年轻女人一眼。
旁白 neutral
" I'm sure she can wait," he said." Our business is very important."
“我相信她可以等,”他说,“我们的事非常重要。”
旁白 neutral
" Besides," added the other man," we got in first. That means it's our cab."
“再说,”另一个人补充道,“是我们先上来的。所以这是我们的马车。”
旁白 neutral
Jerry shut the door behind them." All right, gentlemen
杰瑞在他们身后关上了车门。“好吧,先生们。
旁白 neutral
Stay in as long as you like." He turned to the young woman
你们想待多久就待多久。”他转向那位年轻女子。
旁白 neutral
" Don't worry," he told her with a smile
“别担心,”他微笑着对她说。
旁白 neutral
" They'll be gone soon enough."
“他们很快就会走的。”
旁白 neutral
It took only a few minutes for the men to realize that Jerry didn't intend to drive them anywhere
只过了几分钟,那两个男人就意识到杰瑞根本没打算带他们去任何地方。
旁白 neutral
They climbed out of the cab and hurried off, calling him all sorts of bad names
他们爬出马车,匆匆离去,嘴里还不停地骂着他各种难听的话。
旁白 neutral
Jerry helped the woman and child into the cab, and then drove them to the hospital
杰瑞扶着那位妇女和孩子上了马车,然后驾车送他们去了医院。
旁白 neutral
The woman climbed out with many thanks, which I could see pleased Jerry greatly
那位妇女下车时千恩万谢,我看得出来,这让杰瑞非常高兴。
旁白 neutral
We were about to depart when a well-dressed lady came down the hospital steps, looking for a cab
我们正要离开,这时一位衣着考究的女士从医院的台阶上走下来,正在找马车。
旁白 neutral
As soon as she saw Jerry, she smiled broadly
她一看到杰瑞,就开心地笑了起来。
旁白 neutral
" Jeremiah Barker! Is that you?" she exclaimed
“杰里迈亚·巴克!是你吗?”她大声说道。
旁白 neutral
Jerry seemed equally glad to see her
杰瑞见到她似乎也同样高兴。
旁白 neutral
From listening to their conversation, I discovered that the lady lived on a fine estate in the country
从他们的谈话中,我发现这位女士住在乡下一个漂亮的庄园里。
旁白 neutral
Polly had worked for her family before marrying Jerry and moving to London
波莉在嫁给杰瑞并搬到伦敦之前,曾在她家帮工。
旁白 neutral
" How does cab work suit you?" the lady asked Jerry
“赶出租马车的工作适合你吗?”女士问杰瑞。
旁白 neutral
" I know your dear wife was anxious about your health last year."
“我知道你亲爱的妻子去年很担心你的健康。”
旁白 neutral
" Yes, ma'am, she was," Jerry replied
“是的,夫人,她是很担心,”杰瑞回答。
旁白 neutral
" I had a cough all winter, and the long hours and bad weather can be difficult
“我咳嗽了整整一个冬天,长时间的工作和糟糕的天气确实很艰难。
旁白 neutral
" But I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I didn't have horses to look after."
“但是,如果没有马要我照料,我都不知道该干什么好。”
旁白 neutral
The lady smiled." I understand
女士笑了。“我理解。
旁白 neutral
Just remember, there's always a need for good grooms and drivers
只要记住,好的马夫和车夫总是需要的。
旁白 neutral
If you ever want to give up the cab life, just let me know."
如果你哪天想放弃赶出租马车的生活,尽管告诉我。”