Level 6 · 黑骏马
🎬

E13 · Episodes

013 新的马夫

新的马夫

Little Fox Level 6 · Black Beauty · Episode 13 — 新的马夫.

57 句 · 动画课 · 先观看再听写

旁白 neutral

We arrived home from our trip to visit the squire's friends a few days later

几天后,我们拜访完乡绅的朋友们,回到了家。

旁白 neutral

John was waiting at the stable to help James settle Ginger and me back into our stalls

约翰在马厩等着,帮詹姆斯把金杰和我安顿回各自的马厩。

旁白 neutral

He was glad to hear that James had done well with the driving

他很高兴听说詹姆斯驾车表现很好。

旁白 neutral

That meant James would soon be ready to go to his new job

这意味着詹姆斯很快就能去新工作了。

旁白 neutral

" I wonder who's going to take my job here," James said

“不知道谁会接替我的工作。”詹姆斯说。

旁白 neutral

" It's already been decided," John told him

“已经定了。”约翰告诉他。

旁白 neutral

" Little Joe Green will be coming in to start tomorrow."

“小乔·格林明天就来上班。”

旁白 neutral

" Little Joe!" James exclaimed." But he's only a child!"

“小乔!”詹姆斯惊叫道,“可他还是个孩子啊!”

旁白 neutral

" He's fourteen and a half," John said

“他十四岁半了。”约翰说。

旁白 neutral

" And he may be small, but he's quick and kindhearted and eager to learn

“他虽然个头小,但机灵善良,又肯学。

旁白 neutral

That's why I've agreed to give him a chance for six weeks

所以我同意给他六周的试用期。

旁白 neutral

If he does well in that time, he'll get the job

如果他这段时间表现好,就能得到这份工作。

旁白 neutral

He's starting right away so you can help me teach him what to do."

他马上就开始,这样你可以帮我们教他该做什么。

旁白 neutral

The next day Little Joe arrived at the stable bright and early

第二天,小乔一大清早就来到了马厩。

旁白 neutral

He was just as young and small as John and James had said

他正如约翰和詹姆斯所说的那样年轻矮小。

旁白 neutral

And it was plain to see that he didn't know anything at all about working in a stable

而且一眼就能看出,他对马厩的工作一无所知。

旁白 neutral

But he was ready and willing to learn everything he could

但他已准备好并且愿意尽他所能去学习一切。

旁白 neutral

He always had a cheerful expression on his face and a kind word for us horses

他脸上总是挂着愉快的表情,对我们马儿说话也很友善。

旁白 neutral

He liked to whistle while he worked, and I enjoyed listening to his happy tunes

他喜欢一边干活一边吹口哨,我也很享受听他那些欢快的曲子。

旁白 neutral

Little Joe soon learned how to sweep the stable, to bring in hay and straw, and to clean the harness

小乔很快就学会了打扫马厩、搬运干草和稻草,还有清洁马具。

旁白 neutral

He was always quick to offer to help with anything that needed to be done, from cleaning out the stalls to polishing the carriage

他总是很快就主动帮忙做任何需要做的事,从清扫马厩到擦亮马车。

旁白 neutral

And he never complained, even when the work was hard or dull

而且他从不抱怨,即使活儿很辛苦或枯燥。

旁白 neutral

James seemed pleased with the new boy's progress

詹姆斯似乎对这个新来的男孩的进步感到满意。

旁白 neutral

After a while he decided it was time to teach him how to groom a horse

过了些时候,他决定该教他如何刷马了。

旁白 neutral

" You're a little too short to do much good with Black Beauty or Ginger

“你个头太矮,刷黑骏马或金吉还不太行。

旁白 neutral

I'm afraid you can't even reach halfway up their sides," James said with a chuckle

恐怕你连它们身体的一半高都够不着,”詹姆斯笑着说。

旁白 neutral

" I'll have to teach you on Merrylegs

“我得用梅里莱格来教你。

旁白 neutral

In fact I'm going to put you in charge of taking full care of Merrylegs from now on, with John keeping an eye on you, of course

实际上,从现在起我打算让你全面负责照料梅里莱格,当然,约翰会盯着你的。

旁白 neutral

Merrylegs has always been a special favorite of mine, so you'd better do a good job."

梅里莱格一直是我特别喜欢的一匹马,所以你最好干得漂漂亮亮的。”

旁白 neutral

" Oh, I will, sir!" Little Joe said eagerly." Thank you, sir!"

“哦,我一定会的,先生!”小乔急切地说。“谢谢您,先生!”

旁白 neutral

At first Merrylegs wasn't very pleased about this new plan

起初,梅里莱格对这个新安排不太高兴。

旁白 neutral

I heard him grumble more than once about being handled by a boy who knew nothing

我不止一次听到他抱怨,说自己被一个什么都不懂的孩子照料。

旁白 neutral

But Little Joe did his best to do everything right

但小乔尽最大努力把每件事都做好。

旁白 neutral

By the end of the second week, the pony was complaining much less

到了第二周快结束,小马的抱怨少多了。

旁白 neutral

He even told me he thought the boy might turn out okay after all!

他甚至告诉我,他觉得那孩子最终可能会挺不错!

旁白 neutral

At last the day arrived for James to leave for his new job

詹姆斯去新工作的日子终于到了。

旁白 neutral

Everyone was very sad to see him go

看到他离开,大家都很伤心。

旁白 neutral

Even James himself looked sad when he came to the stable for the last time

就连詹姆斯自己最后一次来马厩时,看起来也很伤感。

旁白 neutral

" I'm excited about my new job, of course," he told John with a sigh

"我对新工作当然很兴奋,"他叹了口气对约翰说。

旁白 neutral

" But I can't stop thinking about everything I'll be leaving behind here

"但我忍不住去想留在这里的一切。

旁白 neutral

I'll miss you and the squire and everyone else here too

我会想念你,还有乡绅,以及这里的每一个人。

旁白 neutral

Then there are the horses, and my good little Merrylegs — what will I do without them?"

还有这些马,还有我的好小梅里莱格——没有他们我该怎么办?"

旁白 neutral

" It's very hard on all of us to see you go, James," John told him

"看到你走,我们大家都很难受,詹姆斯,"约翰对他说。

旁白 neutral

" Especially on me. You've been such a help to me for the past few years

"尤其是我。过去这几年,你帮了我这么大的忙。

旁白 neutral

So I don't blame you for being sad. In fact, I'd be disappointed if you weren't."

所以我不怪你难过。其实,你要是不难过,我反倒会失望。"

旁白 neutral

James smiled at that

詹姆斯听了这话微微一笑。

旁白 neutral

" Cheer up though," John went on

"不过,打起精神来,"约翰接着说。

旁白 neutral

" You're a fine worker, and you'll soon make friends at your new place."

"你是个好员工,到了新地方很快会交到朋友的。"

旁白 neutral

" Thanks for everything," James said." I'll miss you."

"谢谢你做的一切,"詹姆斯说。"我会想你的。"

旁白 neutral

Then he walked around the stable and gave us all a few more pats and scratches

然后,他在马厩里走了一圈,又给了我们每人几下轻拍和抚摸。

旁白 neutral

A moment later he was gone

片刻之后,他离开了。

旁白 neutral

We all missed him a lot over the next week or two, but no one missed him more than Merrylegs

接下来一两个星期,我们都很想念他,但谁也没梅里莱格想得那么厉害。

旁白 neutral

The pony pined after James so much that he stopped eating for a few days

小马太想念詹姆斯了,有好几天都不吃东西。

旁白 neutral

John decided the best way to cheer him up was to give him more exercise

约翰认定,让他振作起来的最好办法是让他多活动。

旁白 neutral

So the next few times he took me out, he brought Merrylegs along with us on a lead

所以接下来几次带我出去时,他用缰绳带上梅里莱格和我们一起。

旁白 neutral

The little pony trotted and galloped along by my side, and that did the trick

小马在我身旁小跑、飞奔,这招还真管用。

旁白 neutral

Before long Merrylegs was just as playful and cheerful as ever

没过多久,梅里莱格就又是一副活泼欢快的样子了。