Level 6 · 黑骏马
🎬

E07 · Episodes

007 马语与人言

马语与人言

Little Fox Level 6 · Black Beauty · Episode 7 — 马语与人言.

65 句 · 动画课 · 先观看再听写

旁白 neutral

One of my favorite tasks at Birtwick Park was carrying the mistress when the whole family rode together

在伯特威克庄园,我最喜欢的任务之一,便是在全家人一起骑马出行时,驮着女主人。

旁白 neutral

The little girls would take turns on Merrylegs and Sir Oliver, while the squire usually rode Ginger

小姑娘们会轮流骑乐腿儿和奥利弗爵士,而乡绅通常骑金杰。

旁白 neutral

I knew that the lady preferred me to Ginger because my mouth was more sensitive, making me easier and more pleasant to ride

我知道夫人比起金杰更喜欢我,因为我的嘴更敏感,骑起来更轻松、更舒适。

旁白 neutral

That made Ginger envy me

这让金杰很羡慕我。

旁白 neutral

" It's all because of the cruel men who trained me," she complained one day in the orchard

“这全都要怪那些训练我的残忍家伙,”有一天,她在果园里抱怨道。

旁白 neutral

Wise old Sir Oliver heard her and said," Don't be so hard on yourself

睿智的老奥利弗爵士听到了,便说:“别对自己太苛刻了。

旁白 neutral

You carry the squire's weight easily and still maintain your gaits, your fine ways of walking

你轻松地承载着乡绅的重量,而且依然能保持你的步态,你那优美的行走方式。

旁白 neutral

That's nothing to be ashamed of

这没什么好羞愧的。

旁白 neutral

Besides, we horses should be content and willing as long as we're treated kindly."

再说了,只要被善待,我们马儿就应该知足且心甘情愿。”

旁白 neutral

He swished his tail for emphasis

他甩了甩尾巴,以示强调。

旁白 neutral

Sir Oliver's tail was very short — only six or seven inches long

奥利弗爵士的尾巴非常短——只有六七英寸长。

旁白 neutral

I'd often wondered what accident had shortened it, and so I asked him now

我常常好奇是什么意外让它变短了,于是现在问了他。

旁白 neutral

" Accident?" Sir Oliver let out a fierce snort." It was no accident

“意外?”奥利弗爵士愤愤地哼了一声。“那可不是意外。”

旁白 neutral

When I was young, my original owner had it cut off on purpose — flesh, bone, and all!"

我小时候,我的第一个主人故意把它切掉了——连皮带肉带骨头都切了!”

旁白 neutral

" That's awful!" I exclaimed

“太可怕了!”我叫道。

旁白 neutral

" Indeed it was," Sir Oliver agreed

“确实是这样,”奥利弗爵士表示同意。

旁白 neutral

" And it was not only the pain, though that was bad enough

“而且不仅仅是疼痛,尽管那已经够糟了。

旁白 neutral

I am left without enough tail to brush the flies off my sides and hind legs

现在我没有足够的尾巴来赶走我两肋和后腿上的苍蝇。

旁白 neutral

The rest of you can't imagine what that's like

你们其他的马无法想象那是什么感觉。

旁白 neutral

They can bite me all day long, and I'm helpless to flick them away as you can without thinking about it."

它们可以整天叮咬我,而我却没法像你们那样,不假思索就能轻轻一甩尾巴赶走它们。”

旁白 neutral

" But why did they cut off your tail?" Ginger asked

“可他们为什么要剪断你的尾巴?”金杰问道。

旁白 neutral

" For fashion," Sir Oliver replied." Nothing more."

“为了时髦,”奥利弗爵士回答,“仅此而已。”

旁白 neutral

" It must be fashion that makes some humans strap our heads up with the checkrein as well," Ginger said

“肯定也是时髦,让有些人还用勒缰绳把我们的头高高勒起。”金杰说。

旁白 neutral

" Yes. It's also fashion that makes them strap those blinkers to our heads when we drive so we can't see anything to the sides," Sir Oliver replied

“是啊。也是时髦,让他们在我们拉车时往我们头上套眼罩,弄得我们两边什么都看不见。”奥利弗爵士回答。

旁白 neutral

Justice looked up from his grazing

贾斯蒂斯从吃草中抬起头来。

旁白 neutral

" The blinkers are supposed to prevent horses from shying and causing accidents," he said in his calm way

“眼罩本应防止马受惊而造成事故,”他用平和的语气说。

旁白 neutral

" Then why don't they put them on riding horses?" I asked

“那为什么不给骑乘马也戴上?”我问。

旁白 neutral

" I suppose that's because of fashion," Justice admitted

“我看那也是因为时髦。”贾斯蒂斯承认道。

旁白 neutral

" True. Blinkers are especially dangerous at night, when horses can see better than humans," Sir Oliver said

“没错。眼罩在夜里尤其危险,因为马比人看得更清楚。”奥利弗爵士说。

旁白 neutral

" I have heard of many accidents that could have been prevented if the horse had been able to see all around him."

“我听过好多事故,要是马能看清周围,本来是可以避免的。”

旁白 neutral

We horses were not the only ones who thought badly of such things

我们马并不是唯一觉得这些东西不好的。

旁白 neutral

The squire might still put blinkers on us when we pulled a cart or carriage

当我们拉车时,庄园主可能还是会给我们戴眼罩。

旁白 neutral

But he disliked checkreins as much as Ginger did

但他和金杰一样,不喜欢勒缰。

旁白 neutral

One day out on the road, the squire and I passed a team of fine horses

有一天在野外路上,我和庄园主路过一队骏马。

旁白 neutral

The driver was a friend of the squire's

那位赶车人是庄园主的朋友。

旁白 neutral

He asked the squire what he thought of the new team

他问庄园主对这组新马队有什么看法。

旁白 neutral

" They're a handsome pair," the squire replied

“它们是一对漂亮的马,”庄园主回答。

旁白 neutral

" But I see you still insist on lessening their power."

“但我看你仍然执意减弱它们的力量。”

旁白 neutral

" Oh, you mean the checkrein?" the other man said

“哦,你是说勒缰?”另一人说。

旁白 neutral

" I like to see my horses hold their heads up."

“我喜欢看到我的马把头抬起来。”

旁白 neutral

" So do I, but I prefer to see them do so on their own," the squire said

“我也这么认为,但我更希望看到它们自己主动那样做。”乡绅说。

旁白 neutral

" Besides, if you don't let them throw all their weight into their work, it wears them out faster."

“再说了,如果不让它们使出全身力气干活,反而会让它们累得更快。”

旁白 neutral

" Maybe you're right, my friend," the other man said

“也许你说得对,我的朋友。”另一位先生说。

旁白 neutral

" I don't promise to change my ways

“我不保证会改变我的做法。

旁白 neutral

But I do promise to think about what you've said."

但我保证会考虑你说的话。”

旁白 neutral

The squire tried to discourage people from being cruel to animals in any way he could

乡绅总是想方设法劝阻人们不要虐待动物。

旁白 neutral

For instance, one day we were riding toward home

比如有一天,我们正骑马回家。

旁白 neutral

We came into view of the Birtwick Park gate just in time to see a pony cart approaching

我们远远望见伯特威克庄园大门,正好看到一辆小马车驶近。

旁白 neutral

The delicate little pony was being driven by a large, strong man

赶着那匹娇弱小马的是一个高大强壮的男人。

旁白 neutral

When the cart neared the gate, the pony turned toward it

当车靠近大门时,小马朝大门转去。

旁白 neutral

With a growl the man yanked the pony's head around so strongly that the pony almost fell over

那男人低吼一声,猛地一拉马头,力气大得小马差点摔倒。

旁白 neutral

But the pony recovered and started forward again

但小马稳住了身形,又继续往前走。

旁白 neutral

The man wasn't satisfied with that

那男人对此还不满意。

旁白 neutral

He lifted his whip and began lashing the pony cruelly

他举起鞭子,开始残忍地抽打小马。

旁白 neutral

The squire urged me forward until we were beside the cart

乡绅催我向前,直到我们与马车并行。

旁白 neutral

" Mr. Sawyer!" he called in a stern voice

“索耶先生!”他用严厉的声音喊道。

旁白 neutral

" Is that pony made of flesh and blood?"

“这匹小马难道不是血肉之躯吗?”

旁白 neutral

" Yes, and temper too," the other man retorted." I didn't ask him to turn there

“是,坏脾气也是,”那人回嘴道,“我又没让它往那儿拐。

旁白 neutral

He needs to learn to do only as I say."

它得学会只照我说的做。”

旁白 neutral

" You've driven that pony to my place many times," the squire said

“你赶着这匹小马来过我家好多次了,”乡绅说,

旁白 neutral

" How could he know you weren't going there again?

“它怎么知道你这次不是又要去那里呢?

旁白 neutral

Remembering the turn only shows his intelligence. But that's not the point

记得转弯,恰恰说明了它很聪明。但这并不是重点。

旁白 neutral

Your cruel treatment of that creature shows your own poor character."

你对这生灵的残忍对待,恰恰暴露了你自己的劣根性。”

旁白 neutral

Sawyer didn't respond to that

索耶没有接话。

旁白 neutral

But he stopped whipping the pony and drove on, leaving me glad to have such a kind master

但他停止了鞭打小马,赶着车走了,这让我庆幸自己有一个这样仁慈的主人。