Level 6 · 秘密花园
🎬

E04 · Episodes

004 女仆

女仆

Little Fox Level 6 · The Secret Garden · Episode 4 — 女仆.

70 句 · 动画课 · 先观看再听写

旁白 neutral

The next morning Mary woke up when a young housemaid came into her room

第二天早晨,一个年轻的女仆走进房间时,玛丽醒了过来。

旁白 neutral

While the young maid cleaned up the cinders in the fireplace, Mary lay in bed and looked around the gloomy room

年轻女仆清理壁炉里的灰烬时,玛丽躺在床上,环顾着昏暗的房间。

旁白 neutral

The walls were covered with strange tapestries embroidered with forest scenes

墙上挂满了奇怪的挂毯,上面绣着森林的景象。

旁白 neutral

Through a window she could see a great stretch of land

透过一扇窗户,她能看到一片广阔的土地。

旁白 neutral

It looked like an endless, dull purple sea

看起来像一片无边无际、暗淡的紫色海洋。

旁白 neutral

" What is that?" Mary pointed out the window

“那是什么?”玛丽指着窗外问道。

旁白 neutral

" That's the moor," said the housemaid with a grin." Do you like it?"

“那是荒原,”女仆咧嘴笑着说,“你喜欢吗?”

旁白 neutral

" No. I hate it."

“不,我讨厌它。”

旁白 neutral

" That's because you're not used to it

“那是因为你还不习惯。”

旁白 neutral

You think it's too big and bare now. But you will like it."

你现在觉得它太大、太光秃秃的。但你会喜欢上它的。”

旁白 neutral

" Do you like it?"

“你喜欢它吗?”

旁白 neutral

" I do," said the housemaid

“我喜欢,”女仆说。

旁白 neutral

" In the spring it's covered with growing things that smell sweet

“春天的时候,那里长满了各种闻起来香香的东西。

旁白 neutral

There's lots of fresh air, and the sky looks so high

空气很新鲜,天空看起来那么高。

旁白 neutral

I wouldn't live away from the moor for anything."

无论如何我都不想离开这片荒原。”

旁白 neutral

As the maid lit the fire, Mary listened to her with a puzzled expression

女仆生火时,玛丽带着困惑的表情听着她说话。

旁白 neutral

Servants in India were not like this

印度的仆人可不是这样的。

旁白 neutral

Her nanny and the others did not talk to their masters in such a friendly way

她的保姆和其他人都不会用这么友好的方式和主人说话。

旁白 neutral

" What's your name?" Mary asked." Are you going to be my servant?"

“你叫什么名字?”玛丽问道,“你会做我的仆人吗?”

旁白 neutral

" I'm Martha. I'll do the housemaid's work up here and wait on you a bit

“我叫玛莎。我会在这儿做些女仆的活儿,顺便照料你一下。

旁白 neutral

But you won't need much waiting on."

但你不需要太多人伺候。”

旁白 neutral

" Who is going to dress me?" demanded Mary

“那谁给我穿衣服?”玛丽问道。

旁白 neutral

Martha looked at Mary in amazement." Can't you dress yourself?"

玛莎惊讶地看着玛丽。“难道你不会自己穿衣服吗?”

旁白 neutral

" No. My nanny dressed me, of course."

“不会。当然是我的保姆给我穿。”

旁白 neutral

" Well," said Martha bluntly," it's time you learned."

“好吧,”玛莎直截了当地说,“是时候你该学学了。”

旁白 neutral

Martha helped Mary get dressed that morning

那天早上,玛莎帮玛丽穿好了衣服。

旁白 neutral

Then they went into the next room, where she set out Mary's breakfast on a table

然后她们去了隔壁房间,她在桌上摆好了玛丽的早餐。

旁白 neutral

" I don't want it," said Mary

“我不想吃。”玛丽说。

旁白 neutral

" You don't want your porridge!" Martha couldn't believe this

“你不想喝粥!”玛莎简直不敢相信。

旁白 neutral

" You don't know how good it is. Put a bit of sugar on it."

“你不知道这有多好吃。往上面撒点糖吧。”

旁白 neutral

But Mary refused

但玛丽拒绝了。

旁白 neutral

" If my brothers and sisters were here," said Martha," they'd clean this table bare in five minutes."

“要是我的弟弟妹妹们在这儿,”玛莎说,“他们五分钟就能把这一桌子吃得精光。”

旁白 neutral

" Why?"

“为什么?”

旁白 neutral

" Because they never have enough to eat. I am one of 12 children

“因为他们从来都吃不饱。我家有十二个孩子,我是其中之一。

旁白 neutral

My father gets only a small wage each week

我父亲每周只能赚很少的工资。

旁白 neutral

The children play on the moor all day, and my mother says the air of the moor fattens them up

孩子们整天在荒原上玩耍,我妈妈说,是荒原的空气把他们喂饱了。

旁白 neutral

She thinks they must eat the grass the same as the wild ponies do

她觉得他们一定像那些野生小马一样,是吃草长大的。

旁白 neutral

My brother Dickon is 12 years old, and he has a young pony he calls his own."

我的弟弟狄肯十二岁,他有一匹小马,把它当作自己的。”

旁白 neutral

" Where did he get the pony?" asked Mary

“他从哪儿弄来的小马?”玛丽问道。

旁白 neutral

She was amazed at how this servant talked on and on

她很惊讶这个仆人竟然这样滔滔不绝地说话。

旁白 neutral

" Dickon found it on the moor with its mother

“迪肯在荒原上发现了它和它妈妈。

旁白 neutral

He gave it bread and new grass, so now it follows him around and lets him sit on its back

他喂它面包和嫩草,所以现在它跟着他到处走,还让他骑到背上。

旁白 neutral

Dickon's a kind lad, and animals like him."

迪肯是个善良的小伙子,动物们都喜欢他。”

旁白 neutral

Mary had never had a pet of her own, but she'd always wanted one

玛丽从来没有过属于自己的宠物,但她一直想要一只。

旁白 neutral

She began to be a little interested in Dickon. This was something new

她开始对迪肯产生了一点兴趣。这倒是件新鲜事。

旁白 neutral

The only person she'd ever been interested in before was herself

她以前唯一感兴趣的人就是她自己。

旁白 neutral

She drank some tea and ate some toast with marmalade

她喝了点茶,吃了些涂了橘子酱的烤面包。

旁白 neutral

" You wrap up warmly and run out to play now," said Martha

“你穿暖和点,现在出去玩吧,”玛莎说。

旁白 neutral

" It'll do you good and give you an appetite."

“这对你有好处,会让你有胃口的。”

旁白 neutral

Mary went to the window and looked out

玛丽走到窗边,向外望去。

旁白 neutral

She saw gardens and paths and big trees, but everything looked dull and wintry

她看到花园、小径和大树,但一切都显得沉闷而萧瑟。

旁白 neutral

" Why should I go out on a day like this?"

“这样的日子我为什么要出去?”

旁白 neutral

" Well, if you don't go out, you'll have to stay in, and what is there to do here?"

“嗯,你要是不出去,就得待在屋里,可这儿有什么可做的呢?”

旁白 neutral

Mary looked around. There was nothing to do." But who will go out with me?"

玛丽环顾四周。确实没什么可做的。“可谁能陪我出去呢?”

旁白 neutral

" You'll have to learn to play by yourself

“你得学会自己一个人玩。

旁白 neutral

Our Dickon goes off on the moor and plays by himself for hours

我弟弟迪肯跑到荒原上,能自己一个人玩上好几个小时。

旁白 neutral

That's how he made friends with the pony

他就是那样和那只小马交上朋友的。

旁白 neutral

He has sheep on the moor that know him and birds that come and eat from his hand."

他在荒原上有认识他的羊,还有会飞到他手上吃东西的鸟。”

旁白 neutral

It was this mention of Dickon that made Mary decide to go out, though she was not aware of it

正是这番关于迪肯的话让玛丽决定出去,尽管她自己并没有意识到这一点。

旁白 neutral

Perhaps she would see some birds

也许她会看到一些鸟。

旁白 neutral

They would be different from those in India, and it might amuse her to look at them

它们会和印度的鸟不同,看看它们或许能让她开心。

旁白 neutral

Martha found Mary's coat and hat for her

玛莎为玛丽找来了她的外套和帽子。

旁白 neutral

Then Martha showed Mary the way downstairs and outside

然后玛莎给玛丽指了楼下和外出的路。

旁白 neutral

" If you go around that way, you'll come to the gardens," she said, pointing to a gate in a wall of shrubbery

“如果你沿着那条路绕过去,就能到花园了,”她指着灌木墙里的一道门说。

旁白 neutral

" One of the gardens is locked up. No one has been in it for ten years."

“其中一个花园是锁着的。已经十年没人进去过了。”

旁白 neutral

" Why?"

“为什么?”

旁白 neutral

" Mr. Craven shut it when his wife died suddenly. It was her garden

“克雷文先生在他太太突然过世时关掉了它。那是她的花园。

旁白 neutral

He locked the door and then buried the key so no one could go inside

他锁上门,然后把钥匙埋了,这样谁也进不去了。

旁白 neutral

There's Mrs. Medlock's bell ringing. I must run."

梅德洛克太太的铃响了。我得赶紧走了。”

旁白 neutral

And with that Martha was off, leaving Mary to wander outside by herself

说完玛莎就走了,留下玛丽一个人在外面闲逛。