新概念英语第3册美音
📙

L50 · 第 41–50 课

第50课

New Year Resolutions

新概念英语第 3 册 · 第 50 课

36 句 · 父母与孩子分角色配音

旁白 neutral

The New Year is a time for resolutions.

新年是制定决心的时候。

旁白 neutral

Mentally, at least, most of us could compile formidable lists of 'dos' and 'don'ts'.

至少在心理上,我们大多数人都能列出一长串“该做”和“不该做”的事情。

旁白 neutral

The same old favourites recur year in year out with monotonous regularity.

那些老掉牙的旧习惯年复一年地以单调的规律重现。

旁白 neutral

We resolve to get up earlier each morning, eat less,

我们下决心每天早起,少吃,

旁白 neutral

find more time to play with the children, do a thousand and one jobs about the house,

抽出更多时间陪孩子们玩,做成千上万件家务,

旁白 neutral

be nice to people we don't like, drive carefully, and take the dog for a walk every day.

对不喜欢的人和善,小心驾驶,以及每天遛狗。

旁白 neutral

Past experience has taught us that certain accomplishments are beyond attainment.

过去的经验告诉我们,有些成就是无法实现的。

旁白 neutral

If we remain inveterate smokers, it is only because we have so often experienced the frustration that results from failure.

如果我们仍是老烟枪,那只是因为我们屡次体验了失败带来的挫折感。

旁白 neutral

Most of us fail in our efforts at sel-improvement because our schemes are too ambitious and we never have time to carry them out.

Most of us fail in our efforts at sel-improvement because our schemes are too ambitious and we never have time to carry them out.

旁白 neutral

We also make the fundamental error of announcing our resolutions to everybody

我们还犯了一个根本性的错误,那就是向所有人宣布我们的决心,

旁白 neutral

so that we look even more foolish when we slip back into our bad old ways.

这样当我们故态复萌时,就会显得更加愚蠢。

旁白 neutral

Aware of these pitfalls, this year I attempted to keep my resolutions to myself.

意识到这些陷阱,今年我试图把我的决心藏在心里。

旁白 neutral

I limited myself to two modest ambitions: to do physical exercises every morning and to read more of an evening.

我只限制自己两个适度的抱负:每天早上做体育锻炼,晚上多读书。

旁白 neutral

An all-night party on New Year's Eve provided me with a good excuse for not carrying out either of these new resolutions on the first day of the year,

新年前夜的通宵派对给了我一个很好的借口,让我在新年第一天没有执行这两项新决心,

旁白 neutral

but on the second, I applied myself assiduously to the task.

但在第二天,我勤奋地投入到这项任务中。

旁白 neutral

The daily exercises lasted only eleven minutes and I proposed to do them early in the morning before anyone had got up.

每天的锻炼只持续11分钟,我打算在大家起床之前一大早做。

旁白 neutral

The self-discipline required to drag myself out of bed 11 minutes earlier than usual was considerable.

要比平时早11分钟把自己从床上拽起来,需要的自律性是相当大的。

旁白 neutral

Nevertheless, I managed to creep down into the living room for two days before anyone found me out.

尽管如此,我还是设法偷偷溜到客厅里去了两天,才被人发现。

旁白 neutral

After jumping about on the carpet and twisting the human frame into uncomfortable positions,

在地毯上跳来跳去,把身体扭曲成不舒服的姿势之后,

旁白 neutral

I sat down at the breakfast table in an exhausted condition.

我筋疲力尽地坐到早餐桌旁。

旁白 neutral

It was this that betrayed me.

就是这个把我出卖了。

旁白 neutral

The next morning the whole family trooped in to watch the performance.

第二天早上,全家人都跑进来观看表演。

旁白 neutral

That was really unsettling but I fended off the taunts and jibes of the family good-humouredly and soon everybody got used to the idea.

这确实让人不安,但我还是好脾气地抵挡住了家人的嘲讽和揶揄,很快大家就习惯了。

旁白 neutral

However, my enthusiasm waned.

然而,我的热情消退了。

旁白 neutral

The time I spent at exercises gradually diminished.

我花在锻炼上的时间逐渐减少。

旁白 neutral

Little by little the eleven minutes fell to zero.

渐渐地,那11分钟变成了零。

旁白 neutral

By January 10th, I was back to where I had started from.

到了1月10日,我又回到了起点。

旁白 neutral

I argued that if I spent less time exhausting myself at exercises in the morning,

我辩解说,如果早上少花点时间在锻炼上把自己搞得精疲力尽,

旁白 neutral

I would keep my mind fresh for reading when I got home from work.

那么我下班回家时,头脑会更清醒,可以用来阅读。

旁白 neutral

Resisting the hypnotizing effect of television,

抵制住电视的催眠作用,

旁白 neutral

I sat in my room for a few evenings with my eyes glued to a book.

有几个晚上,我坐在房间里,眼睛紧盯着一本书。

旁白 neutral

One night, however, feeling cold and lonely, I went downstairs and sat in front of the television pretending to read.

然而,有一天晚上,我感到又冷又寂寞,于是下楼坐在电视机前假装看书。

旁白 neutral

That proved to be my undoing, for I soon got back to my old bad habit of dozing off in front of the screen.

那被证明是我的失败,因为我很快又回到了在屏幕前打瞌睡的旧习惯。

旁白 neutral

I still haven't given up my resolution to do more reading.

我还没有放弃多读书的决心。

旁白 neutral

In fact, I have just bought a book entitled How to Read a Thousand Words a Minute.

事实上,我刚买了一本名为《如何一分钟阅读一千字》的书。

旁白 neutral

Perhaps it will solve my problem, but I just haven't had time to read it!

也许它能解决我的问题,但我就是没时间读它!