新概念英语第3册美音
📙

L24 · 第 21–30 课

第24课

A Skeleton in the Cupboard

新概念英语第 3 册 · 第 24 课

26 句 · 父母与孩子分角色配音

旁白 neutral

Who was Sebastian?

塞巴斯蒂安是谁?

旁白 neutral

We often read in novels how a seemingly respectable person

我们经常在小说中读到,一个看似体面的人

旁白 neutral

or family has some terrible secret which has been concealed from strangers for years.

或家庭隐藏着某个可怕的秘密,多年来一直对陌生人保密。

旁白 neutral

The English language possesses a vivid saying to describe this sort of situation.

英语中有一个生动的说法来描述这种情况。

旁白 neutral

The terrible secret is called 'a skeleton in the cupboard'.

这个可怕的秘密被称为“橱柜里的骷髅”。

旁白 neutral

At some dramatic moment in the story, the terrible secret becomes known and a reputation is ruined.

在故事的某个戏剧性时刻,这个可怕的秘密公诸于世,声誉也随之毁掉。

旁白 neutral

The reader's hair stands on end when he reads in the final pages of the novel that the heroine,

当读者在小说的最后几页读到女主人公——

旁白 neutral

a dear old lady who had always been so kind to everybody, had, in her youth, poisoned every one of her five husbands.

一位一直对每个人都非常和蔼可亲的老太太,在年轻时毒死了她的五个丈夫时,会毛骨悚然。

旁白 neutral

It is all very well for such things to occur in fiction.

这种事情发生在小说里是完全可以的。

旁白 neutral

To varying degrees, we all have secrets which we do not want even our closest friends to learn,

在不同程度上,我们都有一些甚至不想让最亲密的朋友知道的秘密,

旁白 neutral

but few of us have skeletons in the cupboard.

但我们中很少有人有“橱柜里的骷髅”。

旁白 neutral

The only person I know who has a skeleton in the cupboard is George Carlton, and he is very proud of the fact.

我认识的唯一一个有“橱柜里的骷髅”的人是乔治·卡尔顿,他对此引以为豪。

旁白 neutral

George studied medicine in his youth.

乔治年轻时学医。

旁白 neutral

Instead of becoming a doctor, however, he became a successful writer of detective stories.

然而,他没有成为一名医生,而是成为了一名成功的侦探小说作家。

旁白 neutral

I once spent an uncomfortable weekend which I shall never forget at his house.

我有一次在他家度过了一个令我永生难忘的不舒服的周末。

旁白 neutral

George showed me to the guestroom which, he said, was rarely used.

乔治把我带到客房,他说那个房间很少用。

旁白 neutral

He told me to unpack my things and then come down to dinner.

他让我把行李打开,然后下来吃饭。

旁白 neutral

After I had stacked my shirts and underclothes in two empty drawers, I decided to hang one of the two suits I had brought with me in the cupboard.

我把衬衫和内衣叠放在两个空抽屉里后,决定把我带来的两套西装中的一套挂在橱柜里。

旁白 neutral

I opened the cupboard door and then stood in front of it petrified.

我打开橱柜门,然后僵在原地,吓呆了。

旁白 neutral

A skeleton was dangling before my eyes.

一个骷髅在我眼前晃动。

旁白 neutral

The sudden movement of the door made it sway slightly and it gave me the impression that it was about to leap out at me.

门的突然移动使它轻轻摇晃,给我一种它要向我扑过来的感觉。

旁白 neutral

Dropping my suit, I dashed downstairs to tell George.

我扔下西装,冲下楼去告诉乔治。

旁白 neutral

This was worse than 'a terrible secret'; this was a real skeleton!

这比“可怕的秘密”更糟糕;这是一个真正的骷髅!

旁白 neutral

But George was unsympathetic.

但乔治无动于衷。

旁白 neutral

'Oh, that,' he said with a smile as if he were talking about an old friend.

“哦,那个啊,”他微笑着说,好像在谈论一位老朋友。

旁白 neutral

'That's Sebastian. You forget that I was a medical student once upon a time.'

“那是塞巴斯蒂安。你忘了我以前也是个医学院的学生。”