L11 · 第 11–20 课
第11课
Not Guilty
新概念英语第 3 册 · 第 11 课
27 句 · 父母与孩子分角色配音
旁白 neutral
Customs Officers are quite tolerant these days, but they can still stop you when you are going through the Green Channel and have nothing to declare.
如今海关官员相当宽容,但当你走绿色通道并且没有东西要申报时,他们仍然可以拦住你。
旁白 neutral
Even really honest people are often made to feel guilty.
即使是非常诚实的人也常常会感到内疚。
旁白 neutral
The hardened professional smuggler, on the other hand, is never troubled by such feelings,
另一方面,那些老练的职业走私犯从不会被这种感觉所困扰,
旁白 neutral
even if he has five hundred gold watches hidden in his suitcase.
即使他的手提箱里藏着五百块金表。
旁白 neutral
When I returned from abroad recently, a particularly officious young Customs Officer
最近我从国外回来时,一位特别爱管闲事的年轻海关官员
旁白 neutral
clearly regarded me as a smuggler.
显然把我当成了走私犯。
旁白 neutral
'Have you anything to declare?' he asked, looking me in the eye.
“你有什么要申报的吗?”他直视着我的眼睛问道。
旁白 neutral
'No,' I answered confidently.
“没有,”我自信地回答道。
旁白 neutral
'Would you mind unlocking this suitcase please? '
“请您打开这个手提箱好吗?”
旁白 neutral
'Not at all,' I answered.
“当然可以,”我回答道。
旁白 neutral
The Officer went through the case with great care.
那个官员非常仔细地检查了箱子。
旁白 neutral
All the things I had packed so carefully were soon in a dreadful mess.
我费尽心思整理好的所有东西很快就乱七八糟了。
旁白 neutral
I felt sure I would never be able to close the case again.
我确信我再也无法把箱子合上了。
旁白 neutral
Suddenly, I saw the Officer's face light up.
突然,我看到那个官员的脸上露出了喜色。
旁白 neutral
He had spotted a tiny bottle at the bottom of my case
他发现了一个小瓶子在我的箱子底部
旁白 neutral
and he pounced on it with delight.
他欣喜若狂地扑了上去。
旁白 neutral
'Perfume, eh?' he asked sarcastically.
“香水,嗯?”他挖苦地问道。
旁白 neutral
'You should have declared that.
“你应该申报那个。
旁白 neutral
Perfume is not exempt from import duty. '
香水不免除进口关税。”
旁白 neutral
'But it isn't perfume, I said. 'It's hair gel. '
“但它不是香水,”我说,“它是发胶。”
旁白 neutral
Then I added with a smile,
然后我笑着补充道,
旁白 neutral
'It's a strange mixture I make myself.
“这是我自己调制的一种奇怪的混合物。”
旁白 neutral
As I expected, he did not believe me.
如我所料,他没有相信我。
旁白 neutral
'Try it!' I said encouragingly.
“尝尝看!”我鼓励地说。
旁白 neutral
The Officer unscrewed the cap and put the bottle to his nostrils.
那个官员拧开瓶盖,把瓶子凑到鼻孔前。
旁白 neutral
He was greeted by an unpleasant smell which convinced him that I was telling the truth.
一股难闻的气味扑鼻而来,这让他相信我说的是实话。
旁白 neutral
A few minutes later, I was able to hurry away with precious chalk marks on my baggage.
几分钟后,我带着行李上珍贵的粉笔标记,匆匆离开了。