Level 7 · 哈克贝利·费恩历险记
🎬

E16 · Episodes

016 玛丽·简的善意

玛丽·简的善意

Little Fox Level 7 · The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn · Episode 16 — 玛丽·简的善意.

60 句 · 动画课 · 先观看再听写

旁白 neutral

Peter Wilks' funeral was going to be the next afternoon

彼得·威尔克斯的葬礼将在第二天下午举行。

旁白 neutral

In the meantime, his coffin was in the parlor of his house

与此同时,他的棺材停放在他家的客厅里。

旁白 neutral

I watched with disgust while the king prayed and cried beside the coffin

我厌恶地看着国王在棺材旁祈祷哭泣。

旁白 neutral

Meanwhile, the duke, who was pretending to be William, just stood quietly and looked sad

与此同时,假扮成威廉的公爵只是静静地站着,面露悲伤。

旁白 neutral

Mary Jane gave the king the letter that Peter Wilks had left

玛丽·简把彼得·威尔克斯留下的信交给了国王。

旁白 neutral

He read it aloud. It said that Peter gave his own house and three thousand dollars to his three nieces

他大声念了出来。信上说,彼得把自己的房子和三千美元留给了三个侄女。

旁白 neutral

He gave his tannery business, some other houses and land, and three thousand dollars to his brothers Harvey and William

他把他的制革厂、其他一些房子和土地,还有三千美元,留给了兄弟哈维和威廉。

旁白 neutral

The letter also said where the money — six thousand dollars in gold coins — was hidden in the cellar

信里还指明了那笔钱——六千美元金币——藏在地窖的什么地方。

旁白 neutral

Right away, the king and the duke said they would get the money

国王和公爵立刻说他们去拿钱。

旁白 neutral

They took me with them to the dark cellar and asked me to hold a candle

他们带着我去了黑暗的地窖,让我举着蜡烛。

旁白 neutral

They quickly found the bag of money, and their eyes shone with greed

他们很快就找到了钱袋,眼中闪烁着贪婪的光芒。

旁白 neutral

The two men counted the coins carefully to make sure it was all there

两人仔细地数着金币,确认一分不少。

旁白 neutral

Then we went upstairs, and they counted it again in front of everyone

然后我们上了楼,他们又在众人面前数了一遍。

旁白 neutral

" My friends," said the king." My poor brother has been very generous

“朋友们,”国王说,“我可怜的兄弟真是慷慨。

旁白 neutral

He left as much as he could to these poor lambs" — he meant the three girls — "but he wanted to leave something for us, his brothers

他把自己能留下的都留给了这些可怜的小羊羔”——他指的是那三个女孩——“但他也想给他我们这些兄弟留点什么。

旁白 neutral

However, I feel they need it more. Here, Mary Jane, Susan, and Joanna — take it all." The king handed the bag to Mary Jane

不过,我觉得她们更需要这笔钱。给,玛丽·简、苏珊、乔安娜——全拿去吧。”国王把袋子递给玛丽·简。

旁白 neutral

Everyone said how generous he was. While the girls hugged and kissed him, I noticed that a tall man had come into the room

大家都夸他慷慨。女孩们拥抱亲吻他时,我注意到一个高个子男人走进了房间。

旁白 neutral

The king noticed him and went over to shake his hand, but the man pulled his hand away angrily

国王注意到了他,走过去想和他握手,但那人生气地把手抽了回去。

旁白 neutral

" Why Doctor Robinson," Mary Jane said," don't you know this is my uncle's brother Harvey Wilks?"

“哎呀,罗宾逊医生,”玛丽·简说,“你不知道这是我伯父的兄弟哈维·威尔克斯吗?”

旁白 neutral

" He's just pretending to be an Englishman," the doctor replied

“他不过是在假装英国人罢了,”医生回答。

旁白 neutral

" He has the worst English accent I've ever heard

“他说的英国口音是我听过最糟糕的。

旁白 neutral

I don't believe he is my good friend's brother, and I won't shake his hand."

我不信他是我好友的兄弟,也不会跟他握手。”

旁白 neutral

Mary Jane was shocked, but the doctor continued," I warn you not to trust these men

玛丽·简很震惊,但医生接着说:“我警告你,别相信这几个人。

旁白 neutral

They've learned all about your family somehow, and they have come here to cheat you."

他们不知怎么摸清了你家的情况,是专门来骗你们的。”

旁白 neutral

But Mary Jane said to the doctor," Here is my answer to you." She took the bag of money and gave it to the king

但玛丽·简对医生说:“这就是我的回答。”她把钱袋拿过来,交给了国王。

旁白 neutral

" Take this six thousand dollars," she said," and invest it for us. I trust you."

“这六千元你拿着,”她说,“帮我们去投资吧。我相信你。”

旁白 neutral

Doctor Robinson gave up and left the house

罗宾逊医生没办法,只好离开了。

旁白 neutral

That night, there was a big dinner for Peter Wilks' friends

那天晚上,为彼得·威尔克斯的朋友们举办了一场盛大的晚宴。

旁白 neutral

As a servant, I didn't get a chance to eat until after dinner had been served, but there was lots of food left over

我是仆人,得上完菜才能吃饭,不过剩了好多吃的。

旁白 neutral

I was sitting in the kitchen eating when Joanna, the youngest sister, came in

我正坐在厨房里吃着,最小的妹妹乔安娜走了进来。

旁白 neutral

She was very curious about my life in England

她对我英国的生活非常好奇。

旁白 neutral

" Did you ever see the king of England?" she asked

“你见过英国国王吗?”她问道。

旁白 neutral

" Oh, yes," I answered." He came to our church every week."

“哦,见过,”我回答说,“他每个星期都来我们教堂。”

旁白 neutral

" But I thought he lived in London," Joanna said

“但我以为他住在伦敦呢,”乔安娜说。

旁白 neutral

" Yes, he does."

“是啊,他是住伦敦。”

旁白 neutral

" But don't you live in Sheffield?" she asked, with a puzzled look on her face

“可你不是住在谢菲尔德吗?”她一脸困惑地问。

旁白 neutral

Darn! I had forgotten that we were supposed to be from Sheffield

糟了!我忘了我们应该是从谢菲尔德来的。

旁白 neutral

I thought quickly." Well, I meant he comes to our church in Sheffield in the summertime. He comes to swim in the sea."

我脑子一转。“呃,我是说夏天他会来谢菲尔德的教堂。他来这儿是为了在海里游泳。”

旁白 neutral

" But Sheffield is nowhere near the sea," she said." Are you just making this up?"

“可谢菲尔德离海边可远了,”她说,“你该不会是在瞎编吧?”

旁白 neutral

" No, not at all!" I said quickly

“不,才不是!”我赶紧说。

旁白 neutral

But soon I made another mistake. Joanna asked me how servants were treated in England

但很快我又露了馅。乔安娜问我在英国仆人待遇怎么样。

旁白 neutral

" Oh, very badly," I replied." They're not allowed to go to circuses or theaters — or even to church."

“哦,非常差,”我回答说,“他们不准去看马戏、进戏院——连教堂都不让去。”

旁白 neutral

" But you're a servant and you said you go to church," Joanna said." I don't believe you."

“可你就是仆人,你刚还说你去教堂,”乔安娜说,“我不信你。”

旁白 neutral

Mary Jane and Susan came into the kitchen at that moment

这时,玛丽·简和苏珊走进了厨房。

旁白 neutral

" What don't you believe?" asked Mary Jane

“你不信什么?”玛丽·简问道。

旁白 neutral

" It isn't kind to speak that way to someone so far from home. You must apologize to Adolphus."

“对离家这么远的人这样说话可不好。你得向阿道弗斯道歉。”

旁白 neutral

And Joanna did apologize to me, very sweetly

乔安娜还真向我道歉了,态度非常诚恳。

旁白 neutral

At that moment, I knew that I couldn't let the king and the duke take their money

那一刻,我知道我不能让国王和公爵拿走她们的钱。

旁白 neutral

I went up to bed early, but I couldn't sleep

我早早就上床了,可怎么也睡不着。

旁白 neutral

I had to think of a way to get the money back for the girls

我得想法子帮那几个姑娘把钱拿回来。

旁白 neutral

Everyone else was still downstairs, so I decided I would search the rooms of the king and the duke

别人都还在楼下,于是我决定去搜搜国王和公爵的房间。

旁白 neutral

While I was looking in the king's room, I heard the two men coming up the stairs. I quickly hid under the bed

我正在国王房间里翻看,就听见那两个家伙上楼来了。我赶紧躲到床底下。

旁白 neutral

They came in and shut the door. The duke said he thought they should take the money and leave town that very night

他们进来关上门。公爵说觉得该拿上钱,当晚就离开镇子。

旁白 neutral

" That doctor might make trouble for us."

“那个医生可能会给我们找麻烦。”

旁白 neutral

But the king refused." No, I want to stay and sell the houses and land that were left to us. We'll make even more money."

可国王不答应。“不行,我要留下来,把留给咱们的房屋地产卖掉,这样能赚更多钱。”

旁白 neutral

The duke finally agreed." But I don't like our hiding place for the money," he said." A servant might find it."

公爵最后同意了。“但钱现在藏的地方不好,”他说,“万一被仆人发现就糟了。”

旁白 neutral

The two men got the bag from somewhere in the room

那两人从房间的什么地方拿出了钱袋。

旁白 neutral

I heard them making a rip in the mattress just above me, and they hid the money inside it

我听见他们在我头顶的床垫上撕开一道口子,把钱藏了进去。

旁白 neutral

Then they went back downstairs to join the other guests

然后他们就下楼回到其他客人那里去了。

旁白 neutral

At that point, although I had no real plan, I quickly grabbed the bag of money

那时候,我虽然没什么具体计划,还是飞快地抓起了那袋钱。