Level 6 · 黑骏马
🎬

E26 · Episodes

026 杰瑞的规则

杰瑞的规则

Little Fox Level 6 · Black Beauty · Episode 26 — 杰瑞的规则.

64 句 · 动画课 · 先观看再听写

旁白 neutral

As I've said, Jerry Barker believed in having Sundays off

正如我说过的,杰瑞·巴克认为周日应该休息。

旁白 neutral

Spending time with his family was worth more to him than any money he might earn

对他来说,陪伴家人的时光比任何能赚到的钱都更宝贵。

旁白 neutral

One day he was hitching me to the cab when a gentleman walked into the stable yard

一天,他正把我套到马车上时,一位绅士走进了马厩院子。

旁白 neutral

I recognized the man. We often carried him and his wife around town

我认出了那个人。我们经常载着他和他的妻子在镇上各处走。

旁白 neutral

" Good morning, Mr. Briggs," Jerry said politely

“早上好,布里格斯先生,”杰瑞礼貌地说道。

旁白 neutral

" Good morning," the gentleman replied

“早上好,”那位绅士回答。

旁白 neutral

" I came to offer you a business arrangement

“我来是想跟你谈个生意安排。

旁白 neutral

Mrs. Briggs and I have decided to try a new church, and it's too far to walk

布里格斯太太和我决定去一家新教堂看看,但走过去太远了。

旁白 neutral

We'd like to have you drive us there each Sunday morning."

我们想让你每个周日上午都送我们过去。”

旁白 neutral

" Thank you, sir," Jerry said." But I'm afraid I can't. I never work on Sundays."

“谢谢您,先生,”杰瑞说,“但恐怕不行。我周日从不工作。”

旁白 neutral

" I understand, but of course we'd pay extra for your trouble," Mr. Briggs said

“我理解,但我们当然会为你的麻烦额外付钱,”布里格斯先生说。

旁白 neutral

" It would only be a short trip."

“只是很短一段路。”

旁白 neutral

Jerry shook his head." I'm sorry, sir

杰瑞摇了摇头。“对不起,先生。

旁白 neutral

I used to work seven days a week, and it was miserable

我以前一周工作七天,那日子很难熬。

旁白 neutral

Year in and year out, never a day's rest for me or the horses

年复一年,我和马从没有一天休息。

旁白 neutral

I didn't get to spend any time with my wife and children

我根本没有时间陪妻子和孩子。

旁白 neutral

For the past five years I've made it a rule not to work on Sundays, and we're all happier than we've ever been."

过去五年我一直把周日不工作当作规矩,我们全家比以往任何时候都快乐。”

旁白 neutral

" I see." Mr. Briggs frowned." I suppose I'll have to find another cab."

“我明白了。”布里格斯先生皱起眉头。“看来我得另找一辆马车了。”

旁白 neutral

He walked away, and Jerry gave me a pat

他走开了,杰瑞拍了拍我。

旁白 neutral

" I'm afraid I've disappointed him, Jack," he said

“恐怕我让他失望了,杰克,”他说。

旁白 neutral

" But we can't give up our Sundays."

“但我们不能放弃周日休息。”

旁白 neutral

When Polly came outside, he told her what had happened

波莉出来后,他把事情的经过告诉了她。

旁白 neutral

" It was difficult to say no," Jerry said

“说‘不’很难。”杰瑞说。

旁白 neutral

" Mrs. Briggs is one of my best customers

“布里格斯夫人是我最好的顾客之一。

旁白 neutral

She often goes shopping or visiting for hours at a time, and always pays the whole fare without arguing

她经常出去购物或做客,一去就是好几个小时,而且从不讲价,总是全价付清。

旁白 neutral

She's never in a hurry, and driving her around is easy work for the horses

她从来不着急,拉着她四处转转对马来说也是个轻松活儿。

旁白 neutral

We might lose her as a customer because of this. What do you think, Polly?"

我们可能会因为这个失去她这个顾客。你觉得呢,波莉?”

旁白 neutral

" I think you did the right thing," Polly said

“我觉得你做得对。”波莉说。

旁白 neutral

" I remember how things were when you worked all the time

“我还记得你以前整天工作的日子。

旁白 neutral

I wouldn't go back to those days even if you earned twice what you do now!"

就算你挣的钱是现在的两倍,我也不愿意再回到那种日子去!”

旁白 neutral

For three weeks after that, we saw no sign of Mrs. Briggs

在那之后的三周里,我们都没见到布里格斯夫人的踪影。

旁白 neutral

I could tell Jerry missed both her company and her fares

我看得出杰瑞既想念她的陪伴,也惦记那份车费。

旁白 neutral

One evening Polly announced that a servant had come that day to ask Jerry to pick up Mrs. Briggs the next morning

一天晚上,波莉说当天有个仆人来过,让杰瑞第二天早上去接布里格斯夫人。

旁白 neutral

" I said you would, of course," Polly said

“我当然说你会去的,”波莉说道。

旁白 neutral

" But I also said I was surprised, since we thought Mrs. Briggs had hired someone else."

“但我也说很意外,因为我们以为布里格斯夫人已经雇了别人。”

旁白 neutral

" What did the servant say?" Jerry asked

“仆人怎么说?”杰瑞问道。

旁白 neutral

" He said Mr. Briggs was annoyed that you wouldn't work on Sundays, so he'd been trying other cabs," Polly reported

“他说布里格斯先生因为你周日不肯工作很恼火,所以一直在试别的马车,”波莉转述道。

旁白 neutral

" But Mrs. Briggs wasn't happy with any of them

“但布里格斯夫人对哪一辆都不满意。

旁白 neutral

Some drove too fast, some too slow, and none were as nice and clean as yours

有的跑得太快,有的太慢,哪一辆都不如你的干净整洁。

旁白 neutral

So she insisted they hire you again!"

所以她坚持要他们再来雇你!”

旁白 neutral

Jerry was glad to have his favorite customer back

能再次为最喜欢的老主顾服务,杰瑞很高兴。

旁白 neutral

He was just as glad he'd stood by his decision not to work on Sundays

他同样庆幸自己坚持了周日不工作的决定。

旁白 neutral

But one day soon after that, he made an exception to his Sunday rule

但之后不久的一天,他却为自己的周日规矩破了一次例。

旁白 neutral

A neighbor needed a ride out into the country to visit her dying mother, and he agreed to take her

一位邻居需要搭车去乡下探望她病危的母亲,杰瑞答应载她去。

旁白 neutral

" It's the right thing to do," Polly agreed when he told her

“这是应该做的,”他把事情告诉波莉时,波莉也赞同。

旁白 neutral

" Poor Dinah has no other option

“可怜的黛娜没有别的办法。”

旁白 neutral

And we should always try to treat others as we'd like to be treated

我们总该设身处地为别人着想。

旁白 neutral

I would certainly appreciate a ride to visit my own mother if I needed it."

要是我需要搭车去看我自己的母亲,我肯定会非常感激。”

旁白 neutral

I was chosen for the journey, and we set out

我被选中执行这趟旅程,于是我们就出发了。

旁白 neutral

I was tired from the work week, but Jerry had borrowed a lighter cart for the trip

忙碌了一周,我有些疲惫,好在杰瑞为这次出行借了一辆比较轻便的马车。

旁白 neutral

After the heavy four-wheeled cab, it felt easy to pull

比起沉重的四轮出租马车,这辆车拉起来感觉轻松多了。

旁白 neutral

It was a fine May day, and it was nice to leave the city behind and breathe the fresh country air

那是个晴朗的五月天,离开城市,呼吸着乡间新鲜的空气,感觉真好。

旁白 neutral

Dinah's family lived in a small farmhouse

黛娜的家人住在一座小小的农舍里。

旁白 neutral

Two cows were grazing peacefully in the grassy field behind it

农舍后面的草地上,两头奶牛正安详地吃着草。

旁白 neutral

" You can tie your horse in the cowshed while you wait," a young man said

“您可以把马拴在牛棚里等着,”一个年轻人说。

旁白 neutral

" I wish we had a better stable to offer you."

“真希望我们能有个好点的马厩给您用。”

旁白 neutral

" If your cows wouldn't mind, I'm sure there's nothing my horse would like better than an hour or two out in the grass," Jerry said

“只要你们的奶牛不介意,我相信我的马最喜欢的事,莫过于在草地上待上一两个小时了,”杰瑞说。

旁白 neutral

The young man agreed gladly

年轻人欣然同意了。

旁白 neutral

Jerry led me into the field, removed my harness, and set me free

杰瑞把我牵到田里,卸下马具,让我自由活动。

旁白 neutral

I could hardly believe my good fortune!

我简直不敢相信自己运气这么好!

旁白 neutral

At first I wasn't sure what to do. Should I graze? Roll in the soft grass?

一开始,我竟不知该做什么。是该吃草呢?还是在柔软的草地上打个滚?

旁白 neutral

Lie down to rest? Or gallop across the field out of sheer freedom?

是躺下来休息?还是纯粹为了享受自由,在田野上飞奔一番?

旁白 neutral

I did all those things

我把所有这些事都做了个遍。

旁白 neutral

Jerry smiled as he watched me, and I knew he was glad we had come — even on a Sunday

杰瑞看着我,面带微笑,我知道他很高兴我们来了——即便是在周日。