Level 6 · 黑骏马
🎬

E23 · Episodes

023 又一个新主人

又一个新主人

Little Fox Level 6 · Black Beauty · Episode 23 — 又一个新主人.

69 句 · 动画课 · 先观看再听写

旁白 neutral

My new owner was named Mr. Barry

我的新主人名叫巴里先生。

旁白 neutral

His doctor had advised him to get more exercise, so he'd decided to try riding

他的医生建议他多锻炼,所以他决定试试骑马。

旁白 neutral

Mr. Barry was a kind man who wanted to do what was best for me, but he didn't know much about horses

巴里先生是个善良的人,想给我最好的照顾,但他对马了解不多。

旁白 neutral

He rented a stall at a stable near his home and hired a groom to take care of me

他在家附近的马厩里租了一个马栏,还雇了一个马夫来照顾我。

旁白 neutral

The groom's name was Filcher. He was only a part-time groom

马夫的名字叫费尔彻,他只是一名兼职马夫。

旁白 neutral

The rest of the time, he and his wife grew fruits and vegetables and raised poultry and rabbits to sell

其余时间,他和妻子种植水果蔬菜,饲养家禽和兔子来出售。

旁白 neutral

At first I liked Filcher well enough

起初,我挺喜欢费尔彻的。

旁白 neutral

He kept my stall clean, groomed me thoroughly, and handled me gently

他把我的马栏打扫得干净,把我刷洗得彻底,还温柔地对待我。

旁白 neutral

But after a while, I noticed my grain meals getting smaller and smaller

但是过了一段时间,我注意到我的谷物餐越来越少。

旁白 neutral

That was strange, because Mr. Barry had ordered lots of good food for me

这很奇怪,因为巴里先生给我订购了很多优质饲料。

旁白 neutral

The grain shouldn't have run out already!

谷物不应该这么快就吃完了!

旁白 neutral

Filcher always arrived at my stall very early. His little son usually came too

费尔彻总是很早就到我的马厩。他的小儿子通常也跟着来。

旁白 neutral

The boy always had a covered basket with him, which he took into the feed room

那男孩总是带着一个有盖的篮子,然后带进饲料室。

旁白 neutral

After a few minutes, he'd come out again, call good-bye to his father, and scurry off

几分钟后,他会再出来,跟他父亲喊再见,然后匆匆跑开。

旁白 neutral

I still had hay to eat, but I missed the grain

我还有干草可以吃,但我很想念谷物。

旁白 neutral

It gave me the energy I needed for my work

它给我工作所需的能量。

旁白 neutral

One day Mr. Barry rode me to visit a farmer friend of his

有一天,巴里先生骑我去拜访他的一位农夫朋友。

旁白 neutral

This farmer had a keen eye for horses

这位农夫对马有很敏锐的眼光。

旁白 neutral

" Your horse doesn't look as good as when you first brought him, Barry," he said

“你的马看起来不如你刚带来时那么好了,巴里,”他说。

旁白 neutral

" Has he been healthy?"

“它一直健康吗?”

旁白 neutral

" I think so." Mr. Barry shrugged

“我想是吧。”巴里先生耸了耸肩。

旁白 neutral

" I've noticed he isn't as lively as he used to be

“我注意到它不像以前那么精神了。

旁白 neutral

My groom told me horses are always dull and weak in the autumn."

我的马夫告诉我,马在秋天总是无精打采、虚弱无力。”

旁白 neutral

" Nonsense!" the farmer exclaimed

“胡扯!”农夫大声说道。

旁白 neutral

" With your light work he shouldn't have any trouble at any time of the year

“以你给它安排的轻活儿,一年中任何时候都不该有问题。

旁白 neutral

What do you feed him?"

你喂它什么?”

旁白 neutral

Mr. Barry told him. The farmer felt me all over

巴里先生告诉了他。农夫把我全身摸了一遍。

旁白 neutral

" I don't know who's eating your grain, Barry, but it isn't your horse," he declared

“我不知道是谁吃了你的谷物,巴里,但肯定不是你的马,”他断言道。

旁白 neutral

" You'd better look into it!"

“你最好查一查!”

旁白 neutral

A few mornings later, Filcher and his son arrived at the stable as usual

几天后的一个早晨,费尔彻和他儿子像往常一样来到了马厩。

旁白 neutral

The little boy went into the feed room with his basket

小男孩提着篮子走进饲料室。

旁白 neutral

" A-ha!" a voice cried out

“啊哈!”一个声音喊道。

旁白 neutral

A police officer marched out of the feed room dragging the boy by the arm

一名警官大步走出饲料室,拽着男孩的胳膊。

旁白 neutral

There was a lot of shouting and some crying, and in the end the truth came out

现场喊叫声和哭声一片,最后真相大白了。

旁白 neutral

Filcher had been sending his son to steal my grain!

原来是费尔彻一直派他儿子来偷我的谷物!

旁白 neutral

They sneaked it home in the basket to feed their rabbits

他们用篮子偷偷把谷物带回家,去喂他们的兔子。

旁白 neutral

Mr. Barry was suspicious after talking with his friend, and had asked the police to look into it

巴里先生和朋友谈过后起了疑心,便请警方调查此事。

旁白 neutral

When he found out what had happened, he fired Filcher immediately

查明真相后,他立刻解雇了费尔彻。

旁白 neutral

A few days later, my new groom arrived

几天后,我的新马夫来了。

旁白 neutral

He was a tall, good-looking young man named Alfred Smirk

他是个高大英俊的年轻人,名叫阿尔弗雷德·斯默克。

旁白 neutral

Mr. Smirk considered himself very handsome

斯默克先生自认为非常英俊。

旁白 neutral

He spent lots of time on his hair and clothing and always looked his best

他花大量时间打理发型和衣着,总是展现出自己最好的样子。

旁白 neutral

He liked to make me look my best too

他也喜欢让我看起来光鲜亮丽。

旁白 neutral

My mane and tail were always neat and glossy, and my hooves were painted with oil

我的鬃毛和尾巴总是整齐油亮,蹄子也被涂上了油。

旁白 neutral

That was almost all he did for me though

然而,这几乎就是他为我做的全部了。

旁白 neutral

Smirk was one of the laziest men I'd ever seen

斯默克是我见过最懒的人之一。

旁白 neutral

He rarely bothered to check my feet or shoes or groom me thoroughly

他很少费心去检查我的蹄子或蹄铁,或者给我彻底刷洗。

旁白 neutral

He did a sloppy job of cleaning my stall, and it soon began to stink

他清理我的马厩时敷衍了事,很快就臭气熏天。

旁白 neutral

" Alfred, the stable smells a bit," Mr. Barry said one day

“阿尔弗雷德,马厩有点味道,”一天,巴里先生说道。

旁白 neutral

" Do you think you should scrub out the stall?"

“你不觉得应该把马厩好好刷洗一下吗?”

旁白 neutral

" Well, sir," Smirk said in his polite and charming way," I can if you like, but it's dangerous to use water in a horse's stall

“呃,先生,”斯默克用他那礼貌而迷人的方式说道,“如果您希望,我可以刷洗,但在马厩里用水很危险。

旁白 neutral

It might cause him to catch a cold."

可能会让马着凉感冒。”

旁白 neutral

" Oh!" Mr. Barry said." Perhaps you'd better not then

“哦!”巴里先生说,“那你最好还是别用水了。

旁白 neutral

But something should be done about the smell

但这气味总得想个办法处理一下。”

旁白 neutral

Perhaps someone should check the drains."

也许该找人检查一下排水沟。”

旁白 neutral

" Good idea, sir," Smirk agreed

“好主意,先生,”斯默克赞同道。

旁白 neutral

A man came to check my stall

有个人来检查我的马厩。

旁白 neutral

He found nothing wrong, and the smell went on as always

他什么毛病也没发现,气味一如既往地持续着。

旁白 neutral

The constant dampness began to make my hooves unhealthy and tender

持续的潮湿开始让我的蹄子变得不健康,变得刺痛发软。

旁白 neutral

Eventually my feet got so bad that I couldn't walk over stones without stumbling

最终我的脚情况变得很糟,以至于走在石头上必定会踉跄。

旁白 neutral

My master became worried and took me to the farrier

我的主人担心起来,带我去看了蹄铁匠。

旁白 neutral

The farrier took one look at my feet and shook his head

蹄铁匠只看了一眼我的蹄子,就摇了摇头。

旁白 neutral

" Your horse has a disease that is caused by standing in wet, dirty stalls

“您的马得了一种病,是由于站在潮湿、肮脏的马厩里引起的。

旁白 neutral

I'm surprised your groom didn't notice it before it got this bad!"

我很惊讶您的马夫在情况变得这么糟之前竟然没有注意到!”

旁白 neutral

Mr. Barry was surprised too — and angry

巴里先生也很惊讶——而且很生气。

旁白 neutral

He directed the farrier to tend to my feet until I was better and fired Smirk immediately

他让蹄铁匠照料我的蹄子直到好转,并立刻解雇了斯默克。

旁白 neutral

But this time he had no intention of finding a new groom

但这一次,他无意再找新马夫了。

旁白 neutral

" Having a horse of my own is too much trouble," he told the farrier

“自己养一匹马太麻烦了,”他对蹄铁匠说。

旁白 neutral

" I'm going to sell this fellow and hire a horse when I need one."

“我打算把这伙计卖掉,需要马的时候租一匹就行了。”