E17 · Episodes
017 新的家园
新的家园
Little Fox Level 6 · Black Beauty · Episode 17 — 新的家园.
67 句 · 动画课 · 先观看再听写
旁白 neutral
The next morning Little Joe and Merrylegs left for the minister's house
第二天早上,小乔和梅里莱格斯就出发去牧师家了。
旁白 neutral
Then John saddled Ginger and mounted, leading me beside her
然后约翰给金格尔备好鞍,骑了上去,并牵着我走在她旁边。
旁白 neutral
We rode out through the gates of Birtwick Park without looking back
我们骑出了伯特威克庄园的大门,头也不回地离开了。
旁白 neutral
After about fifteen miles we came to a place called Earlshall Park
大约走了十五英里后,我们来到了一个叫厄尔歇尔庄园的地方。
旁白 neutral
This would be our new home
这将是我们的新家。
旁白 neutral
The estate had a very fancy house and a large stable
这个庄园有一栋非常华丽的房子和一间很大的马厩。
旁白 neutral
When we reached the stableyard, John asked for Mr. York
我们到达马厩的院子时,约翰求见约克先生。
旁白 neutral
York was the man in charge of the earl's stable, horses, and carriages
约克先生是负责管理伯爵的马厩、马匹和马车的人。
旁白 neutral
He was a handsome man with a manner that said he expected to be obeyed
他相貌英俊,态度中带着一种期望别人服从的架势。
旁白 neutral
" It's nice to meet you," he said to John." Thanks for delivering the new horses."
"很高兴见到你,"他对约翰说,"谢谢你把这些新马送过来。"
旁白 neutral
He called for the grooms to take Ginger and me inside
他叫马夫们把金格尔和我带进马厩。
旁白 neutral
Then he invited John to come and have some tea
然后他邀请约翰去喝杯茶。
旁白 neutral
The grooms led us into the bright, airy stable
马夫们把我们带进明亮通风的马厩。
旁白 neutral
One led me into a large, deeply bedded stall, and the other took Ginger into the equally nice stall beside it
一个马夫把我带进一个铺着厚厚垫料的大马栏,另一个把金格尔牵进旁边同样不错的马栏。
旁白 neutral
Then they groomed us and gave us some hay
然后他们给我们刷了毛,并给了我们一些干草。
旁白 neutral
Half an hour later John and Mr. York returned. York looked us over carefully
半小时后,约翰和约克先生回来了。约克仔细地打量了我们。
旁白 neutral
" These look like very nice horses, Mr. Manly," he said to John
“曼利先生,这两匹马看起来很不错,”他对约翰说。
旁白 neutral
" Is there anything you'd like to tell me about them?
“关于它们,你有什么要告诉我的吗?
旁白 neutral
All horses have their quirks."
每匹马都有自己的小习性。”
旁白 neutral
" I don't believe there's a better pair of horses in the country," John replied
“我相信全国都找不出比这更好的一对马了,”约翰回答。
旁白 neutral
" I'm very sorry to part with them. But you should know that they're not alike
我很舍不得和它们分开。但你要知道,它们俩不一样。
旁白 neutral
The black one has the most perfect nature I've ever seen
那匹黑马的性格是我见过最完美的。
旁白 neutral
I don't think he's ever known a harsh word or an unfair punishment since he was foaled."
我想它自打出生以来,从没听过一句重话,也没受过不公的惩罚。
旁白 neutral
" Excellent," York said
“太好了,”约克说。
旁白 neutral
" But the chestnut one hasn't been so lucky," John went on
“但那匹栗色马就没那么幸运了,”约翰接着说。
旁白 neutral
" We bought her from a dealer who said she'd had some bad treatment in her early years
我们是从一个马贩子那儿买下她的,他说她早年受过些虐待。
旁白 neutral
When we got her, she was tense and suspicious
刚来的时候,她紧张又多疑。
旁白 neutral
But after some good handling at our place, she relaxed, and for the past three years she's been very good."
但在我们那里得到善待之后,她放松了下来,过去这三年一直都很乖。
旁白 neutral
" I see," York said
“我明白了,”约克说。
旁白 neutral
" If she's well-treated, there isn't a better, more willing animal," John said
“如果她受到善待,就没有比她更好、更肯干的马了,”约翰说。
旁白 neutral
" But she's still high-strung
"不过她仍然很敏感易惊。
旁白 neutral
She's more bothered by flies than most horses, and likely to be annoyed by the harness too
她比大多数马更受苍蝇的困扰,马具也容易让她烦躁。
旁白 neutral
If she were unfairly treated, she'd probably react strongly."
如果受到不公正的对待,她可能会反应很强烈。"
旁白 neutral
" Many spirited horses are like that," York said with a nod
"很多性子烈的马都是这样。"约克点了点头说。
旁白 neutral
" Thank you for the information, Mr. Manly. I'll remember what you've told me."
"谢谢你告诉我这些情况,曼利先生。我会记住你说的话。"
旁白 neutral
" Oh, I almost forgot to mention one more thing," John said
"哦,我差点忘了提一件事。"约翰说。
旁白 neutral
" We've never used the checkrein to hold up the head of either of these horses
"我们从未对这两匹马中的任何一匹用过勒马缰绳来勒住头。
旁白 neutral
The black horse has never worn one in his life, and the dealer said it's what spoiled the mare."
黑骏马这辈子都没戴过,而且马贩子说就是这东西毁了那匹栗色母马。"
旁白 neutral
" Well, they're going to have to wear it here, I'm afraid," York said
"嗯,恐怕它们在这儿得戴上。"约克说。
旁白 neutral
" I prefer a loose rein myself, and the earl doesn't care
"我个人更喜欢松缰,伯爵也不介意。
旁白 neutral
But the lady is very interested in style and fashion
但那位夫人对风格和时尚非常讲究。
旁白 neutral
If her carriage horses aren't reined up tight, she won't even look at them."
要是她的马车夫没把马缰绳勒紧,她连看都不会看它们一眼。”
旁白 neutral
" I'm sorry to hear that," John said with a sigh
“听到这个我很遗憾,”约翰叹了口气说。
旁白 neutral
" But I'd better go, or I'll miss my train."
“但我最好走了,不然要赶不上火车了。”
旁白 neutral
John stepped into my stall
约翰走进我的隔间。
旁白 neutral
" Good-bye, you two," he said, giving Ginger and me each a pat
“再见了,你们两个,”他说着,轻轻拍了拍金格尔和我。
旁白 neutral
" I hope you'll be happy here."
“希望你们在这里过得开心。”
旁白 neutral
His voice sounded sad
他的声音听起来很悲伤。
旁白 neutral
All I could do to say good-bye was hold my face close to him
我能做的告别方式,只是把脸靠近他。
旁白 neutral
Soon he was gone, and to this day I've never seen him since
很快他就走了,直到今天,我再也没有见过他。
旁白 neutral
The next day the earl came to look at us. He seemed pleased by what he saw
第二天,伯爵来看我们。他看起来对我们很满意。
旁白 neutral
" These horses are just as nice as squire said," he commented
“这些马正如乡绅说的那样好,”他评价道。
旁白 neutral
" It's too bad they're not a match in color, but they'll be fine for driving around the countryside."
“可惜它们颜色不搭,但拉着车在乡下转转还是很好的。”
旁白 neutral
York agreed. Then he told the earl what John had said about us
约克表示同意。然后他把约翰关于我们的话告诉了伯爵。
旁白 neutral
" Hmm." The earl glanced at Ginger
“嗯。”伯爵瞥了一眼金格尔。
旁白 neutral
" Keep an eye on the mare, and start with the checkrein loose
“看好这匹母马,开始时把勒马缰绳放松些。
旁白 neutral
If you tighten it up a little at a time, I'm sure they'll both get used to it soon
如果一次收紧一点点,我相信它们俩很快就会习惯的。
旁白 neutral
I'll mention it to my wife."
我会跟我夫人提一下这事。”
旁白 neutral
That afternoon the grooms harnessed us to a fine carriage
那天下午,马夫们给我们套上了一辆精致的马车。
旁白 neutral
For the first time I had the checkrein attached to my bridle
第一次,我的笼头上系上了勒马缰绳。
旁白 neutral
It was strange not to be able to lower my head if I wished
想低头却低不了,感觉怪怪的。
旁白 neutral
But my head wasn't held any higher than normal, so I didn't mind too much
但我的头并没有被拉得比平时高,所以我也不太在意。
旁白 neutral
Ginger didn't complain either
金格尔也没抱怨。
旁白 neutral
As the clock struck three, we were led around to the front of the house
钟敲三点时,我们被牵着绕到了宅子前面。
旁白 neutral
With a rustling of silk, a proud-looking lady walked down the steps to meet us
伴随着丝绸的窸窣声,一位表情傲慢的夫人走下台阶来迎接我们。
旁白 neutral
She looked at Ginger and me and frowned
她看了看金格尔和我,皱起了眉头。
旁白 neutral
But she said nothing — at least not on that first day
但她什么也没说——至少第一天是这样。